Source for bottles and closure discussion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to rinse. StarSan is fantastic. Used it for brewing first and now wine. Probably 25 years. When I get used bottles like that, I first soak them in PBW to clean them.

I'm pondering just bottling wine like beer, caps and all.

Basically most of my wine is bulk aged for 6 to 12 months in 3 gallon carboys. I bottle 3 gallons, about 30 375 ml bottles, then drink it till it's gone, bottle another 3 gallons ...

Since it will only be in the bottle for about 90 days max why not just go the beer bottle route?

I've never bottled beer but it looks cheaper and easier.

Comments? Negatives?

I'd still have regular bottles for batches I want to age longer and to get a more formal feel for "fancy dinners" but most nights it's just me opening a 375ml bottle for the evening.

Since it will only be in the bottle for about 90 days max why not just go the beer bottle route?
Crown capping will work fine. You can use pop top beer bottles and sparkling wine bottles, but note that American beer bottles are (IIRC) 26 mm, and most American sparkling wines accept the same size camp. However, European sparkling wines are often 2 mm larger. You can use the caps to check the size of sparkling wine bottles. It will either set neatly on top, or it won't.

Latest posts

Back