Cleaning the Spoon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good tip to clean and sanitize the spoon before stirring every day when I push the grapes down?
Making a batch of the cleaner and sanitizer (that keeps so no biggie on that) is a pain.

Help!

We just wash our spoon off with water and then spray it with sanitzier solution from our spray bottle. We always put everything away clean, so a rinse and spray is all we need.

When I am at that stage in the process, i.e. primary fermentation, I have a one gal plastic milk bottle with EZ clean premixed and use that. I don't believe EZ clean has a very long shelf life so I don't store it more than a week at most. I store pre mixed K meta sanitizing solutionin the same waybut it has a much longer shelf life so it is fairly conveniently available about any time I need it. So, I have a couple of jugs arround all the time for those two chemicals, but carefully marked, so Iam not tempted totaste them
smiley11.gif
!
BTW, Iuse EZ clean immediately after the spoon is taken out of the must so nothing dries on it before being washed.

So, what are you making?

Get your self a new spray bottle from a dollar store and keep sanitizing solution in there just for these easy to clean utensils.

Thanks for the replies.

I am making a kit Cab. This is my first attempt at making wine so I am nervous and clueless! The DVD that comes with the setup is pretty good, but there are many subtle things that I think will only come with experience.

I love to see all the Minnesota people here!

That's why we are to help. Get a pound of K-MET. That way you will never run out. Next time you make a gallon add some to a spray bottle.
Have you started the kit yet?

I started two days ago and it seems to be going well. The stuff was all foamy today and the aroma getting strong. I've been keeping good notes so I can improve my process. It seems like the forum here will be a great resource as well. Thanks!

Remember 2 things

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN

Patience Patience Patience

There is a wealth of knowledge here ASK for some when you need some.
smiley32.gif

Personally...I lick the spoon....
smiley4.gif

Then, wash and sanitize....
Store...
Then, wash and sanitize.
Use...lick...
Repeat.

Im with NW on that 1 and its typically how I do most of my tastings to see whats going on in there!

I just keep my spoon in the humidor. use, rinse , replace.

When making and mixingwine I like to keep a wallpaper try to keep things in.

I just let the dog lick it clean after using. They all say that dogs have very sterile tongues!
smiley2.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley36.gif

Just kidding... DOn't try that at home.

I rinse and spray.

StarSan in a spraybottle is easy and effective. If you use distilled water as the base the starsan will not be affected by minerals and will stay clear and acidic longer.

I'm with Rocky Top - I got a wallpaper tray and fill it with sanitizer so that I can submerge spoons, hydrometer, thief, bungs - anything that will touch the wine. Don't know if submerging is really necessary but I feel better about it. I found a shorter tray at Lowes that works for some things but had to go to an independent hardware store to find an longer tray that would accomodate the autosiphon. I found that wallpaper is out of fashion!

I use the spray bottle method...but have found that the plastic spray bottles that you get form.....where ever...out there...tend to sping leaks...due to the Kmeta....possilbly......I had a couple of bottles just leak right out. I had a bottle under the sink that I used last time. But when I pulled it out it was very lightweight...put fresh Kmeta in it and after an hour it was all over the kitchen counter.

I think I got mine at Home Depot and have had it for 2 1/2 years now.

I use a finger cut from rubber gloves to cover the spigots on my primary/bottling buckets...Soak the finger in K-Meta [sulfite] solution and find over time the rubber finger melts away.

Think there is various quality in rubber and plastics out there....Some melt from different solutions.

ummmmm I have 2 dogs....the other one can lick the drill stir paddle.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back