Cleaning Pickle Containers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSNET

Junior
Reaction score
Got a couple of pickle containers fron a local burger joint.
Is there any way to get the pickle smell out of these things,
or should I just use them in the garden?
Thanks,
Jim

That is a tough odor to remove. I would fill it with water and add a large box of baking soda. Rinse well and see if that did the job.

Are you planning on using them to make wine? If so, not a good idea to use anything that once contained vinegar to make wine.

Well, I was, but if it's not a good thing to do, I guess it's a deer corn bucket instead

Jim

I doubt that they would mind one little bit. The deer love apples that have frozen and thawed a few times to the point where they smell fermented. The deer have been in the trees heavy since spring thaw cleaning up frozen drops. I also dumped the grape skins and seeds last fall after fermentation and press. They smell like alcohol and wine. The deer have been pawing through the piles of them and easting them this spring also. I was trying to compost them, but at the rate they are getting eaten, there won't be any for compost to form!

And we have drunken birds flying into our front window after dining al fresco on the flowering crab berries from last fall. I bet I heard 50 hits yesterday!

Latest posts

Back