Cleaning fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpio

Junior
Reaction score
What's best way to clean my fermenter to eliminate any residual smells and not having to worry about chemical contamination?

ThanksEdited by: scorpio

Scorpio, I rinse mine very well, use C-Brite cleaner (B-brite or whatever other cleanser you use), then when cleaned, I have a spray bottle with water and sulphite mixed up, I give it a few sprays to coat the inside, just lay the lid on top and give it a rinse before it next use.

I think it is like anything you want to keep in good condition. As soon as I have finished siphoning my wine from the fermenter I use hot water filling to half or 3/4 full. Then I let the water run through the spout if you have one. I use "Easy Clean" a no rinse powdered cleanser that George sells. There are many different kinds, but this came with my first kit and it works well.

One thing I have noticed, and have read on this forum that if you use the drill and mixing wand, try not to use it on the bottom of the bucket. It does leave scrape marks and sooner or later these will become a concern to keep sanitized. Bacteria loves to hide in the crevices.
Some use clorox or bleach also to keep clean, and it kills germs. Experiment with different cleansers and it will be your choice on what you like. I'm sure there are others here with different ways of cleaning their fermenter. I rinse my bucket and I sanitize right before usage.

Most of the time I only need to rinse my fermenter with hot water and use a soft bristle brush to clean right after I empty it. For stubborn buildup or stains I also use C-Brite but agree any chlorine/oxygen based cleanser designed for this use works well.

I use all my primary wine fermenters interchangeably with white, reds and even mead and never noticed any issue.

I doubt very much you will be able to eliminate the residual smells from your plastic fermenter. Just clean them well and you are good to go. Just use the fermenter for wine and not beer and you are good to go. The same goes for a beer fermenter. Don't use it to make wine.

Smurfe

Be sure to rinse well if you are using the chlorine! Chlorine wine/beer is awful!
smiley11.gif

Latest posts

Back