CLEANING BOTTLES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Thought we had a good supply of clean-delabeled bottles, but
realized we'd be needing some if we don't empty a whole bunch soon...

Being as we are expecting a storm this weekend seemed like a good time to bring some indoors from the shed and clean and delabel up a few cases.

Our bottles usually come from a Supper Club....[Thanks pelican's]...
Lately a friend had brought over a few blue and red bottles for the wine effort...I love looking at the labels and contents of unusual bottles....then going OnLine and checking out the wineries.

Here is an interesting Winery from South Dakota....
This is their wine list....

http://www.prairieberry.com/wines/index.php?id=36

They have some interesting combinations of fruit [worth trying at home]....and rather humorous names on some of their labels.....

Can you tell I am getting bored already and the storm hasn't hit yet....
Cabin Fever days ahead....
smiley4.gif

BTW...been soaking in plain hot water and scraping with a paint scraper. Soaked some overnight...those worked out real good.

Edited by: Northern Winos

Send me your address. I will ship bottles to you to de-label for me.
smiley36.gif
I detest scraping labels. I do remember what it is like to have cabin fever though and wishing I had something to do to occupy the mind during bitter weather.

Removing labels I thought was mainly for appearancesake, until I visited on line, a brew on site premisses. It is the law (British Columbia Canada) if you are using a OSPyou must remove the label. I guess the government is conserned that IF you do not remove the label the consumer might try to resell the bottle as housing its' former labeled contents.

JC

jcnoren....Up here or I should say Down here the ferment on Premises places I think use new bottles when you bottle your own wines....they sell the used bottles from tastings etc. by the case.

Smurfe....I really don't mind cleaning bottles...Mainly because I know there soon will be wine to bottle...Just part of the process.

PWP....do you have snow yet??? Or just wind????

I just hauled in three stacks of plastic planting trays, plastic planting cells and plastic pots....so when the cabin fever really sets in I'll go down to the laundry tub and wash and sanitize those and be ready to start some seeds later on...Meanwhile I'll just look for something more to eat....
smiley4.gif

No snow yet....we could have run to the city to shop and beat the storm....

I have mostly desert wines going so I have to go and buy these bottles as I never find any 375's anywhere but in a store in a box with a price tag on it!
smiley13.gif

I get those little 187mil bottles when we go into town to the Tavern....they serve their 'finest' Gallo [only] wine out of such bottles....cute little bottles and the screw caps you buy from the wine supply fits them.

Maybe ask at some restaurants if they serve splits and these small ones.

With Christmas coming you might get some different bottles at your Transfer Station.

wade said:
I have mostly desert wines going so I have to go and buy these bottles as I never find any 375's anywhere but in a store in a box with a price tag on it!
smiley13.gif

I still have 4 cases for ya Wade, but they won't go out till after the first of the year........

They are heavy! I put 4 cases in 1 box and it's down stairs in the laundry room and no one wants to move it, it's so heavy.

I'm thinken if'en I ordered a case of bottles, don't they just put a shipping label on the box and ship them?????

I'm thinking of just doing that, Why do you need to boz up a box of empty bottles?

That will be awesome Jobe, dont worry about when to ship them as even when I bottle all the wine I have in glass, I dont know where to put them except back in the boxes on the floor in my cellar! By the way, If you have a ton of 1 color why dont you just send those instead of giving me your prize blue ones or 30 of those and the rest brown or clear or whatever you have a sht load of. Either way is awesome and you are a true friend, just trying to do what works best for us both. How are you doing on meeting the 18th deadline?

Killing myself......... But ahead of schedule.

We have everything done except 4 or 5 Main jobs, then whatever we sell. The week between Xmas and New Years we'll be pulling all the January work and start scheduling that.

I have hired 2 more employees for January to help out, looking for another one now in case one of them drops out. Anyways..... not to steal a thread, ................ Life is good........ just hectic.

BTW...been soaking in plain hot water and scraping with a paint scraper. Soaked some overnight...those worked out real good.

[/QUOTE]

NW, throw you some OxyClean in there and there will be very little scraping required

I saw somewhere on this forumabut using TSP -

(I've been reading for a while, but just got around to joining)

that a heavy duty cleanser called TSP worked great, and lo we had some in the cabinet. So yesterday I tried about a teaspoon of that in a sink full of bottles.

The labels came off on the average twice as easy, some just peeled off. I had soaked them about 45 min in hot water. The only ones that had to be scraped much had a 'gummy' type of label glue.

I had all the cleaners sirring there, just went with hot water.

I had some film/residue settle on some that I soaked in OzyClean, it did come off pretty easily tho.

The only really tough/gluey labels were on the blue bottles on Riesling from Germany.....One bottle I actually got out the GooGone....Hadn't done that in a long time.

Latest posts

Back