Clean finish

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dufresne11

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am just in my wine room sampling a 14 month old Sangiovese that is bulk aging. It is very good and I plan on aging it a few more months. However the only thing missing is a clean finish. It kind of lingers on the palette a little too long. Am I being nitpicky?

If not is there something I can do in the future to ensure a clean finish?

Sangiovese is one of a few wines that I have that are 3 years old. It's tough getting them that long. Glad you enjoy it.

As a quality wine ages, it can go through peaks and valleys of good, then not so good; finally to great. Sort of like the saying, "two steps forward, one step back."

I have seen cases where a wine seemed really nice; then I tried it a few months later and was disappointed. Then later on back to nice, and even better than ever before.

Give it enough time and it should really smooth out. The longer the finish, the better.

I have a kit wine that after 12 months I was so disappointed, I considered pouring it out, so I could put something worthwhile in its carboy. Now after 18 months (and a month in the wine barrel), it is really starting to taste very good. Finally the fruit flavor is starting to peek through. Yes the barrel is making a big difference, but it is the time that is helping bring it out.

Give it two years and you more than likely will be pleased.

Good point Robie,

I have been doing this long enough that I should know that. Unfortunately in my zeal to create the perfect wine I tend to judge my own wine harshly while taking a kinder view towards others wines...

Good point Robie,

I have been doing this long enough that I should know that. Unfortunately in my zeal to create the perfect wine I tend to judge my own wine harshly while taking a kinder view towards others wines...

Nothing wrong with expecting the best out of one self.

Back