Clarifying and Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have researched this and have only come up with answers regarding what to do when your wine isn't clarifying.

My case is that I added my clarifyers last night and all ready I have about an inch of sediment in the bottom of the carboy. The instructions say to leave this for 10 days then rack or filter to a clean carboy.

I have read that you shouldn't let your wine sit on the sediment for too long to pick up any off flavors.

Now my question is should I rack soon to get it off of the sediment? The wine isn't perfectly clear yet and could use more time, I just wondered if I should get it off what has all ready fallen out then let it sit the extra time in another carboy.

Ty

I let it sit with the fining agents about 25 days to let them compact really nice all the while having the carboy tipped so that all the sediment falls to one side and then you rack off the other side.

Hello all,

I have researched this and have only come up with answers regarding what to do when your wine isn't clarifying.

My case is that I added my clarifyers last night and all ready I have about an inch of sediment in the bottom of the carboy. The instructions say to leave this for 10 days then rack or filter to a clean carboy.

I have read that you shouldn't let your wine sit on the sediment for too long to pick up any off flavors.

Now my question is should I rack soon to get it off of the sediment? The wine isn't perfectly clear yet and could use more time, I just wondered if I should get it off what has all ready fallen out then let it sit the extra time in another carboy.

Ty

I'd follow the kit instructions. They have a reason for telling you to wait 10 days.

They don't tell you to rack if you think you have too many lees. :tz :tz :tz

I am with wade.

Not too long is in winemaking talk a relative timespan.
Patience is the key in winemaking.
So not too long is a month to a few months even.

I think you are far too hasty.
I never use any clearing agents and all my wines clear beautifully in the end.
Might take a few months though.

Luc

Back