Cider, Yeast Selection, Time Frame Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I have been making hard cider for a few years, mostly in an experimental way, trying different combinations of sugars, yeasts, priming, etc.
I have a 2 gallon batch that was fermented using BA11, fermented well, cider was racked to gallon jugs @ 1.010, finished dry. There is about 1/4 inch or so of yeast that settled to the bottom as the cider is clearing well on its own without any additives. There is a very fair amount of activity in the jugs, that is, significant bubbles rising from the yeast bed.
Is this excess CO2 being released or something else pertaining to the yeast? It has been only about 3 weeks in secondary, should I rack it off this yeast and let it continue to clear. I plan on bottle conditioning for carbonation, with this in mind how long should this sit before bottling?

Not sure I fully understand, Longtrain. You say the SG is at 1.010 but it finished dry.. 1.010 is not fully dry as the cider can still continue to ferment until it is well below 1.000 - perhaps .996 or even lower... so any "activity" is surely to be expected.. no? That said, as you certainly would know, 3 weeks is no time at all and even if you had halted the fermentation chemically (the addition of K-meta and K-sorbate) or had halted it physically (heating or cooling the cider to inhibit yeast activity, changes in air pressure and temperature can release CO2 that had been dissolved and trapped in the liquid... So the bubbles may be the result of continued fermentation or the result of the CO2 simply leaving the cider over time...

Sorry for my miscommunication. The cider was racked to secondary at 1.010, it continued to ferment there until .996. Following that time, the significant bubbles continue to rise from the yeast bed. CO2? Possibly, but I haven't noticed this before, but then again I used a new yeast BA11, which I hadn't used on cider before. Wondering if this may be a property of that specific yeast, as the bubbles are clearly rising from the yeast bed.

Thanks,

Tony

Latest posts

Back