Cider Score!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I was fortunate hat the local farm here cold stored enough apples this fall to be able to continue making fresh cider all winter.
I picked up another 6 gallons of fresh cider, nothing added, I'm going to make another batch of Carbonated Hard cider, the first 5 gallons went real fast, too fast...lol, and frankly it blows that Reds apple ale and angry orchard out of the water, it is a nice crisp semi sweet cider, very easy drinking at 9.8 % ABV.

cider1.jpg

Reaction score
Better get it going so it is ready for summer to enjoy. We can get cider here year round as there are lots of very large orchards close by. We just had some yesterday at a meeting I went to.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Nice score, I wonder what the quality difference between fresh juice and cold stored juice.

the_rayway

Always busy
Reaction score
Hey Tom! Great score :br

Do you prime your bottles to carb? Or force carb? I'd love to get your cider recipe so I can whip some up next fall with the several hundred lbs of apples I know I'll have left over :)

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
Seth, I tasted this cider, it tastes great, it wasn't pressed and then held in storage, the apples were, to be honest, most apples purchased out of season are apples that have been in storage, think about what we buy in the spring and summer. ...lol!
Raelene, I'll pm it to you, real easy.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Wine Making mobile app

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
Oh, I use the sugar and honey that I use to back sweeten to prime the bottles, when it reaches the desired carbonation level, I pasteurize them to stop fermentation in its tracks.
The last batch took 3 months from fermentation to cracking open and enjoying it!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Wine Making mobile app

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
Yeah man, it tastes pretty good, I'm looking forward to the finished product!

the_rayway

Always busy
Reaction score
Yum, can't wait to get the PM Tom!

We did a cider pressing thing with Fruit Share this year and people LOVED it. Fresh pressed cider and you could bring your own apples.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
Raelene,
Check your PM, just sent it.
We love fresh cider, we live in an area that is surrounded by orchards, I think that this fall I may try to get my own selection of apples pressed.....maybe...lol

Ron0126

30 batches my first year, still learning
Reaction score
Raelene,
Check your PM, just sent it.
We love fresh cider, we live in an area that is surrounded by orchards, I think that this fall I may try to get my own selection of apples pressed.....maybe...lol
I know this thread is three years old, but I'd love to get that recipe too!

Latest posts