hard apple cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franc1969

Reaction score
So it's my first time making cider from really good apples. I got juices fresh pressed last weekend from Distillery Lane Ciderworks. They will make a lower ABV than I am used to dealing with, and I am totally over-read on how to handle bottling. Do I cap these? Bottle with corks? will they last a year? I am likely to have consumed by next fall, but still a question going forward when I have a larger amount. I am trying to compare cappers- I don't have one.
The details- all are SafAle S-04 yeast, happily bubbling away right now. Wickson (3.5 pH 16.5brix), Harrison(3.6 pH 16.2brix), Redfield(3.6 pH 11.8brix)
So that should come out to about 9% and 6.25% alcohol. Don't know about blending yet- wanted to make specific varietals to start. I intend still cider. I might also start another batch of blended cider by the end of the month, depends on what I find at the PA orchard, and I'd like to try another yeast.
I've made an apple wine (abv about 11%) from fresh cider before, and hard scrumpy-type cider that we drank really fresh. The scrumpy was pulled right from the fridge, the wine bottled as usual. I might be overthinking the difference after barbera / merlot / berry wine.

If still cider, just cap as you did the scrumpy. You are suffering info overload. Easy to do here.

Apple had settled into no more active airlock burps by Friday, and seemed to be ready to rack. I was out all day yesterday and I thought I would transfer to other carboys today. Went into the room and found that Harrison has a definite fizzy malolactic fermentation going and active burps. Wickson may also, infrequent burps there, I don't see a fizz.
Is this going to be ok with my pH? 3.6 for Harrison and 3.5 Wickson at start. Also- is it ok to rack while this is happening so actively?

I would check the gravity. If the gravity is closing in on 1.000 then good to rack but if there is still a wide margin then there ie no ruc=sh and in fact rushing may result in you racking the cider off the yeast and so creating a stalled fermentation while there are still many miles to go

All batches were at 1- 1.030 so I racked to smaller carboys. I have left them to sit, having to add more pectinase after running out last week, so they'll be dealt with in awhile.

Back