Choosing which grapes to grow

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelyMassachusetts

Secret Agent
Reaction score
In a couple years (or maybe very soon) I plan to grow some grape vines for myself. The problem is I don't know what variety will work well up here. I'm planning to grow them at another home in southern New Hampshire where the soil there appears to have a lot of clay. The spot I'm looking at has direct sunlight most of the day. I will definitely plant reds, not sure about whites. If you have any recommendations that would be very helpful; I don't want to spend the money to test soil conditions just yet.

Do yourself a favor and have the soil tested. County Cooperative Extension offices can either take the samples or give you a bag to collect the soil in with instructions. The tests aren't expensive and then you have a better idea of the composition of the soil and what rooting requirements you have as well as any needed drainage. If if has a lot of clay, it will be poorly drained and the vines won't do well without some adjustments to the soil, etc. You will need to grow mostly hybrids there so look up cold hardy hybrids. Check with Northeastern Vine Supply (Andy Farmer) in southern Vermont. He can help you choose the reds right for you. He will likely be at trade shows this time of year so if you e-mail or call it might take a few attempts. He has a website that can answer a lot of questions. There is also Double A Vineyards that can be a big help also but is farther away and they cover warm season grapes as well as cold climate grapes.

I would also seek the advice of someone at Cornell. They have a great breeding program and I'm sure they would help in letting you know what would grow well there and be to your taste in wine

Cornell does have a great breeding program but the varieties they have been selecting generally are good only to about -10 to -15 degrees. If the coldest temperatures there ar no lower than that, then you could ask for a selection from them. If so, the Corot Noir or Noiret are good varieties that make a nice fruity wine with some decent tannins. Another choice is the new MY 95.301.01 which will be officially released next month in Rochester at this years wine event there - so I can't tell you the name yet. It is a no spray selection- the first of it's kind from them- and make a nice red wine.

I know a fair amount about all those grapes and others since I worked for Cornell for years taking care of the grapes at the Cornell Baker Farm Willsboro Cold Hardy grape trial vineyard.

What hardiness zone will you be planting into? about a zone 5a or 5b?

Latest posts

Back