CHOKECHERRIES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Here is a photo of a Shubert Chokecherry, also known as Canada Red Chokecherry....

CanadaRedCherrySmall.jpg

I am really excited about this tree, we bought one about7 years ago, I took some suckers off the base of the tree and tried to root it...this is one of the 5 trees that rooted. It leafs out green and by June the leaves are a dark Burgundy color.

ShubertChokecherrySmall.jpg

They root extremely easy, grow ever so fast and this year they bloomed forthe first time.

People say the fruit is just like the wild Chokecherries...time will tell. The trees are susceptible to a fungus, trim it off and you'll have a beautiful tree.

If we are lucky enough to have them bare fruit we will mix it with the wild Chokecherries for what is the best fruit wine we make.

Edited by: Northern Winos

You really have a beautiful lanscape going there NW, with an endless supply of wildlife feed, fruit, vegetables, crops and.........

You have a wonderful supply of berries and fruit for wine.

I agree appleman, what a beautiful job you have done with your yard.

In 2001 that was a soybean field....so the yard is young... The shelter belt isn't very visible....give it a few years....

Your trees are about a week ahead of ours. I'm looking forward to the beautiful perfume that they throw when in bloom.

I see a gazebo out there, a warm summers breeze rustling the leaves on the plants in the hanging basket as Northern Wino pours a glass of chilled plum wine to accompany the cheese and crackers laid out on the wicker table in the gazebo.Taking the first sip, listening to the birds in the trees serenade her she sighs contendently, knowing that life is good !!!

Thanks Waldo, a beautiful dream.....would love a gazebo someplace.

As for listening to the birds....'Happy Bird' was busy before dawn...then we have some Plaited Woodpeckers out there screeching...then this farmer that I share this place with starts his tractor....there is no sleeping-in this time of the year.

They say..."No rest for the wicked"Edited by: Northern Winos

PolishWineP said:
Your trees are about a week ahead of ours. I'm looking forward to the beautiful perfume that they throw when in bloom.

Do you make wine from the Canada Red Cherries????? They say they make good jam, but imagine they should be like the wild ones....Never had these bloom before....

I have visions of them looking like this...

chokesblack.jpg

But there are so many trees blooming right now that I don't think there are enough bees to go around....I may have defeated myself planting too many fruits .

Some wild ones are blooming along the ditches, but the wild ones in the yard are just in bud...

We use the cherries from the Canadian Red tree in our yard, and we pick wild choke cherries from the old Pembina Trail area where Bert hunts. Mix and match works just fine.

Northern; I did a mix with wild chokecherry and Canadian Red and a batch with just Canadian Red.....both turned out great... The Canadian Red are bigger berries and more juice....hope you get some for your wine making...the birds love them too..

Here is another Hybrid Chokecherry....it is an ornamental tree that is grown mostly for it's beautiful bark...

Amur Maackii Chokecherry...

amurSmall.jpg

It is easy to propagate by rooting the little 'suckers' that grow up around the base of the tree....it grows like a weed.

This is the first year that it and some of it's off-spring cuttings [far right of the photo] have bloomed...so if it makes fruit...it will be added to the Chokecherry/Black Cherry wine this fall.Edited by: Northern Winos

The wild Chokecherries are blooming now...the plants are everywhere...hope there will be lots of fruit this fall....

WildChokecherriesSmall.jpg

The apples by my grape vines are coming into pretty fair bloom along with a zillion elderberries. It smells like a perfume factory exploded out there right now. I sure hope it clears up and warms up soon so whatever bees there are can work things. I looked tonight and only saw one small wild bee. It looked dead so Ipoked it and it slugishly moved a wing. It's just TOO cold. I've never seen so many elderberries. They are everywhere this year. I touched a few flower heads and my hands turned yellow from the pollen.

Everything is covered with yellow pollen dust around here....a little showers was headed right for us...then it split into two smaller storms and both missed us...the story of our lives.

From this...not so very long ago...
WildChokecherriesSmall.jpg

To this...

variasionSmall.jpg

Would it be called veraison in Chokecherries too???
A sign that summer is doing it's thing...also that it is slipping away right before our eyes...

Edited by: Northern Winos

We have had rain here every day now since Monday, a little over 6.5 inches total here at the Cats Meow and the long range forecast is for it to continue through next Thursday. I have more mushrooms in my yard than grass !!

Latest posts

Back