wine from wild cherry tree?

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Jal5, Mar 13, 2018.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Jal5

Jal5 Senior Member

We have several wild cherry type trees on the property that bloom in May-June here in Ohio with a lot of tiny white flowers. the cherries were unusually abundant last year and the birds had a feast! I am wondering if I can harvest these small cherries this year and use them for a wine batch. Not sure what they are called though to research suitability for wine making. Any ideas from those with more experience with country fruit? Thanks.

Joe

2. GreginND

GreginND Super Moderator Super Moderator

Are these chokecherries? I just bottled 40 cases of wild chokecherry wine yesterday. It can be delicious.

3. Scooter68

Scooter68 Old Enough to know better but....

If they are cherries or chokecherries - certainly. You will of course be tasting and testing them to determine if they are a sweet cherry or tart cherry. Odds are the latter. Tart Cherries make a great wine. I just finished one and I suspect if you like tart drinks you will love it.

4. Jal5

Jal5 Senior Member

If I remember correctly tasted them once and they are tart: very small fruit with large kind of pit. My problem will be harvesting them before the birds eat them! Those trees are really very tall too adding another dimension to the challenge. But free fruit...
    Joe

Scooter68 likes this.
  5. Scooter68

Scooter68 Old Enough to know better but....

I have a book by a cook who specializes in cooking with things off his farm, including wild veggies and fruits. He has a recipe in his book for a "Cordial" that calls for wild cherries macerated in vodka for 3 weeks then strained off. Not sure how much that relates to making wine but he said something similar, very small fruit with virtually standard sized cherry pits. Book is "The Farm" by Ian Knauer. Some really neat ideas (Recipes) in the book plus he shares his experiences with his farm and his career as a cook. (High Class and Swell Cook) Think there are actually some YouTube videos of what he does.
    Recipe is pretty simple with of course no fermentation:
    2 cups Wild or Sour cherries
    3 cups Vodka
    1/2 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup water.

I did try it once with our pie cherries - Definitely falls into the Rocket Fuel category.

(OH - Just looking at some of his videos and he has a couple about beer making.!!!)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. Arne

Arne Senior Member

You can net the bottom part of the tree (as high as you can reach and pick) and leave the top open. Let the birds have the high ones and you get the rest. Arne.

7. wildhair

wildhair Member

JamesGrape likes this.