Chocolate Strawberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no chocolate syrup, there is cocoa powder and chocolate extract. The extract at the end was a product made specifaically for Chef's Emporium with the name Charles Baldwin on it but the strawberry syrup is Monin as stated in the recipe. You dont ned to add any fruit afterwards if you dont want but I felt the strawberry fell a little short and instead of stating some unkown and untested amount of fruit in primary this is what I used and felt it ws just right. The place where I got the extracts was a Chefs supply store called Chef's Emporium. Hope I answered all of your questions.

There is no chocolate syrup, there is cocoa powder and chocolate extract. The extract at the end was a product made specifaically for Chef's Emporium with the name Charles Baldwin on it but the strawberry syrup is Monin as stated in the recipe. You dont ned to add any fruit afterwards if you dont want but I felt the strawberry fell a little short and instead of stating some unkown and untested amount of fruit in primary this is what I used and felt it ws just right. The place where I got the extracts was a Chefs supply store called Chef's Emporium. Hope I answered all of your questions.

Yikes! Thanks for the extract catch. I just assumed it was synonymous with syrup. :d

Hubby has been browsing the forums, and after he saw this recipe it looks like I need to make this! (Not that I wasn't thinking of making it before he saw the recipe.):db

So the plan is to drive to Walla Walla Friday and see if we can find some frozen local strawberries: http://www.klickerstrawberry.com/ These are incredibly tasty strawberries! If we can't find any, I'll postpone this until summer.

But, I'm thinking instead of the daiquiri mix and strawberry syrup, I'll buy extra berries to make an F-Pack.

That would work fine Im sure, maybe even better! The reason I used that syrup was because I was at a local farm stand browsing when I saw that and like I said before this was supposed to be a strawberry wine from Jack Keller recipe and after a few months of aging I tried it and it was just plain nasty so I started playing with it and when all was said and done it was very good. It was probably the first time I documented most of the stuff luckily because my wife and mother loved it.

That would work fine Im sure, maybe even better! The reason I used that syrup was because I was at a local farm stand browsing when I saw that and like I said before this was supposed to be a strawberry wine from Jack Keller recipe and after a few months of aging I tried it and it was just plain nasty so I started playing with it and when all was said and done it was very good. It was probably the first time I documented most of the stuff luckily because my wife and mother loved it.

I don't know where I went wrong with this (actually I kinda do, and there were multiple mistakes) but mine turned out just like you said, plain nasty! Glad it was only 3 gallons cause after a taste test yesterday, we tossed it. Couldn't see it coming around to anything that would be good.

If you stick with the recipe Wade has, I think you can't loose. But I played with it and deviated from what was advised, and lost what could have been some good stuff. Live and learn.

I was thinking if I made an F-pack and it didn't add enough flavor, I could still and frozen strawberry daiquiri mix and strawberry syrup. Would starting at a lower SG help retain flavor? And then just fortify with brandy? Or maybe start with double the amount of strawberries?

The strawberries I'm planning to use are a bit expensive and I would really hate to mess this up. (Or I could just follow the instructions as written).

:dg

Hi Everyone,

How did your wine turn out? I'm thinking about making this myself as my first attempt on a true home made wine. So let's hope it works out :)

I do have a question. Would it be better to dice the strawberries or could I put them though my juicer, use the juice and put the pulp in a fermenting bag? or just use the juice? what do you all think?

Thanks
Shawn

Is this normal?

Hey All!
So with the 16# of strawberries, everything else, I have about 6 gallons in my primary! I checked the recipe about 3 times, don't think I added anything extra. The only thing I did have to add was an extra 3 1/2 quarts of invert sugar to bring the SG from 1.080 to 1.100 (seemed a little low). I hope I didn't do anything that would water it down! I'll be adding the Pectic enzyme later tonight.

I just started a raspberry version yesterday , literally just added pectic enzyme a few minutes ago. With 7 lbs of raspberrys I have a little over 4 gallons in my primary so you should be pretty close as strawberrys are bigger and you have a lot twice as many

That upped the volume a bit, if you read in the end I started with a low abv and then fortified it. You wont believe the amount of sediment youll have later and loose a lot!

That upped the volume a bit, if you read in the end I started with a low abv and then fortified it. You wont believe the amount of sediment youll have later and loose a lot!

I figured there would be, I added some extra blended cocoa powder, just in case. You can never have too much chocolate, right? ;-) I can always add a strawberry f-pac (or daquiri mix) to boost the strawberry later on if needed. It does smell really good already! Pectic Enzyme is going into it before bed tonight.

Cruising right along! What temp are you fermenting it at? I like to cool ferment my fruit wines.

Hello, finding this thread I thought this may be the place to reply and ask this question. Excuse me I put it in another place also. I am tfying to figure out the system.
I have attempted to make the above Recipe switching to Raspberries.
Using:
Wade E’s Chocolate Strawberry Port Recipe

3rd day SG was 1.150 so I added Water to get 1.110
4th SG was 1.070 added Sugar Syrup…
5th SG 1.090……warmed wine & sugar
Let sit a few days Put into Carboy …lots of bubbles
17th day SG .090 ( not certain how to write this, the 90 above the Red Wine Bar)
Sadly getting a film ontop.
18 Racked to fresh Carboy.
19 Today I realize after reading stuff here, the SG has been in the same place for days and maybe now is the time to add Brandy and Bottle.
Oh, ought I to put more Campden tablets in now???
What say ye
Again, thanks, Spring Road~~

Its ranging in the mid 70's, course its been 100+ most of the week, so there isn't much relief even on the cold basement floor. I also started with a pretty strong batch of yeast so it started fermenting pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a few questions I need help with...
21st day on the Chocolate Rasp Port Recipe.

my first SG was 1.115 (mistake in letter above)
Today SG 1.015 (2 days here)

19th day: The 5 gallons of wine had stabilized so I have added 1 litre Brandy, 20 oz. Rasp syrup(homemade),cant find chocolate extract so I poured brandy over cocoa and strained it in. Gotta do something> no daquiri mix. and 5 cups sugar.

Wine had cooled below 20degrees so I placed a heating pad close by.
Next morning the wine began working again, the temp back to 23-25 degrees C.
Was the heat wrong to do ? Did the syrup and sugar get it bubbling again?
If it stays at SG 1.015 for one more day ought I to add Campden Tablets and Bottle?
About 5 Gallons of wine. Is this 1 tablet to gallon to crush/dislove and add?
I guess wait to settle and Bottle.
any thoughts?
Spring Road~~

As said above only sorbate will prevent refermentaion withthe exception of overcoming the yests threshold with a higher alc like Brandy or everclear etc but I dont believe you used enough brandy to do that. Im thinking that you didnt have it warm enough ot let the yeast ferment out and when you warmed it up it got going again.

Back