Chocolate Strawberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its all good you still rock for posting the recipie to begin with!! i can not wait to try it!!

Hey Wade, I made this and my wife thanks you :p my question is.... How does it clear? Mine still looks the color of dark black coffee or coke cola, I guess. Does it really clear more than this?

3 Gallon recipe
15 lbs – Fresh Strawberries diced up
7 1/2 lbs – White Table Sugar
3 tsp – Acid Blend
1/2 tsp – Tannin
2 cups – Ghirardelli or Hershey's Cocoa Powder
3 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
1 1/2 tsp – Yeast Energizer
3 Gallons – Water
1/8 tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme
1/8 tsp – K-Meta
These are extra ingredients for after wine is stable.
8 ounces – Liquid Chocolate Extract
3– Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Mix
2 lbs – White Table Sugar added to 1 Cup Boiling Water
14 ounces – Monin Strawberry Syrup
1 Pint – E&J Brandy
Pour 1 gallon of warm water in 5 gallon primary bucket or bigger. Add K-meta, Tannin, Yeast Energizer, Yeast Nutrient, and Ascorbic Acid and stir well. Put all fruit in fermenting bag and squeeze over primary to extract most of juices and then put bag in primary. Pour the 1 gallon of boiling water with all dissolved sugar over fruit. Add another 3/4 gallon of cool water in. Take 4 cups of water and the 2 cups of Cocoa powder and mix in blender on low speed and then add this to primary and stir well. You should have a SG of around 1.110 give or take a little, if more then add a little more water, if less then add a little more dissolved sugar in small amount of water as sugars from fruit can vary a little. Let sit for 12 hours with lid loose or with a cloth covering bucket with elastic band or string tied around so as that not to sag in must. After those 12 hours add your Pectic Enzyme and wait another 12 hours while also adjusting your must temp to around 75 degrees. After those twelve hours, pitch your yeast either by sprinkling yeast, dehydrating yeast per instructions on back of yeast Sachet, or by making a yeast starter a few hours prior to the 12 hour mark. At this point either leave primary lid off with the cloth again, place lid on loose or snap the lid shut with airlock. Punch down cap twice daily to get all fruit under the liquid level. When SG reaches 1.015, rack to 3 gallon carboy and let finish fermenting with bung and airlock attached. When wine is done fermenting, (check a few days in a row to make sure SG does not change and SG should be around .998 or less), you can stabilize your wine now with 1/8 tsp of K-Meta powder and 1 1/2 tsp of Potassium Sorbate. At this Point I took all extra ingredients listed above and stirred it all in well and then add the wine to it and stir that in and add fining agent the transfer back to glass at which point you will have approximately 3 1/2 gallons. When cleared, rack off lees and bottle or bulk age with another 1/4 tsp of k-meta.

sounds awsome my next project maybe. thanks wade. still working on my sketter pee its looking gr8

Sorry mrazz, never saw that post, I used SuperKleer on mine and it looks like a darker strawberry wine.

Wade, a few questions please. I think this is going to be my next project and maybe it will be done just in time for valentines.

1. I only have powdered Pectic Enzyme, will that cause a problem with this recipe?

2. If I used some white grape juice from concentrate (food lion brand), would that take the place of the 1/2 tsp – Tannin that I don't have? If it would, how much would you recommend to ensure I use enough. I was thinking maybe using 3 gallons?? If I do that, would I need the acid blend? I don't have an acid test kit but I do have the blend. Okay, I know this is more than a few questions. Sorry

An empty carboy is calling my name! I have lost my freaking mind, but it sure has been fun!!!

The powdered enzyme will work just fine and wont make a bit of difference. Im not sure of using the concentrate though as it really doesnt have tannins or much of it and would most likely throw everything off like SG and acidity and amount toatl of volume. Just so as you know this recipe will make more then the 3 gallons so be prepared with at least another 1 gallon jug. When I make a recipe it will always contain extra for topping off purposes at a later time so you wont have to try and find something similiar as there usually isnt anything similiar! You will need the acid blend and if you dont have a test just follow the directions and you should be close enough. You can add the tannin at a later date as it doesnt have to gom in the primary.

The powdered enzyme will work just fine and wont make a bit of difference. Im not sure of using the concentrate though as it really doesnt have tannins or much of it and would most likely throw everything off like SG and acidity and amount toatl of volume. Just so as you know this recipe will make more then the 3 gallons so be prepared with at least another 1 gallon jug. When I make a recipe it will always contain extra for topping off purposes at a later time so you wont have to try and find something similiar as there usually isnt anything similiar! You will need the acid blend and if you dont have a test just follow the directions and you should be close enough. You can add the tannin at a later date as it doesnt have to gom in the primary.

Outstanding....I'm actually placing an order for some powdered tannin and the Cotes Des Blanc yeast now. Will be here this weekend which falls perfectly in line with when I plan on starting this. Thanks for the information! :D

Got the strawberries, chocolate and initial chemicals in the primary today. You weren't kidding, this does make more than 3 gallons. Don't have any empty "primaries" at the moment so I put it in a 5 gallon carboy. There "might" be enough room to allow for expansion when it starts rolling. Going to have to watch this one very closely.

You will have a lot of sediment on this though especially with the cocoa powder!

Well, I thought I had ample room for this to do it's thing. Had it in a 6 gallon carboy. Pitched the yeast yesterday and it exploded all over the kitchen today. Had to move it to two 5 gallon buckets to keep it from spewing over.

The upside, it smells fantastic. Didn't taste it yet since I just pitched the yeast, but it sure smells good. If it doesn't work out, at least you can wear it. Or at least I did today! LOL :d

Wade,

Just started a batch of this weekend. When I punch the cap down should I stir in a manner to resuspend any chocolate that has settled or do it genly enought to not disturb any lees that have settled out.

So far, everyone loves how it smells.

I would try and get the cocoa stirred in as much as possibl while in primary and then let it settle as much as possible when the sg reaches about 1.020.

Wade, Thx for confirming. I gave it a good stir tonight and will conitnue until it reaches the 1.020 range.

Chocolate Strawberry Port Fementing Question:
The SG is at .994 and is still bubbling away. Is this normal? Is it still fermenting or is there something going on with all the sediment at the bottom? Should I consider racking off the lees or just follow rule #2 (patience)? Rule 1 is sanitize?

Below is a brief history

Starting SG was 1.106 (1/1/11)
Current SG is .994
transfered from primary to 3 Gal Carboy, 1 Gallon Jug 1.5 liter bottle on 1/6 @ 1.014
Day 9 of fermentation (1/9/11)
Lots of sediment in 3gl carboy and 1gl jug

Everything sounds good. Its a port so the more alc it makes the better. Let it finish which should be very soon and then rack off the heavy sediment again. You see why I have you make more then 3 gallons initially? Lots of sediment to settle out. Once its racked off add the kmeta and sorbate and degas it good and let it sit a week or two then sweeten or you could wait and sweeten but sweetening may cloud it back up and thats why I do it early.

Everything is stirred up, room temp and campden added. pitching yeast tomorrow. Smells sooooo good.

Could you give a little more details to the strawberry and chocolate syrups? Where did you get them? What brands do you recommend? 2 lbs for backsweeting in 3 gallons in addition to the syrups and Daiquiri mix seems a little excessive. Is this right?

Back