WineXpert Chocolate Rasberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, thats where it stopped after adding in the Chaptalization pack and then you have to add the F-pack which will raise it up more making it even sweeter. It will still be very good though or I wouldnt be bulk aging one right now. I just wish one of these eventually will make it to a lower finished gravity.

I just bottle mine and I will say it is tasty! I picked up Port bottles this weekend when I was in northern Indiana visiting my in-laws and had the day off today. :dg

This stuff is gorgeous immediately, but I just tried mine that I finished in November and the difference is amazing after only 6 months. It's wprth hiding away if you have the will power :try

Yep, this stuff is problematic during fermentation but worth it in the end. By far the best Port out there if you ask me!!!!!!!

After hearing this I can't wait for it to age a little.

My CRP is now about 7 months old. It is very good, if you like the taste of lots of raspberry a lot. My wife really loves raspberries and she loves the CRP. I racked it again last night. It is still dropping chocolate after all this time. Even in the future, I figure any bottle of it left setting for very long will continue to show chocolate settling out.

Last night I added some tan cor grand cru (to port!!!), hoping to add a little more mouth feel to it. Like any kit, it suffers some from being a little thin. I haven't added tan core GC to a port before; hope it turns out a little thicker but still very good.

We are supposed to give out much of this as gifts next Christmas... I think my wife is starting to get a little greedy, though; but after all, it was made for her. She gets a little upset (that's a better word...) when I offer carboy samples of it to our friends.

I do believe I will make some more of this kit one day soon.

Id be greedy with this kit also. Keep some so that you can have it for around 2 years cause thats when it really is amazing!!!! I ran out early last year after having some for 4 years and dear lord I hated opening that last bottle. My wife gave away the 2nd to last bottle and I almost screamed at here for that. It was a dble batch and thats the only reason it lasted so long. I have a batch that has been bulk ageing for some time now and will get to bottling it soon.

Wade, sounds like it is worth keeping for several more years, I'll do that.
I personally don't care much for the raspberry taste in this port or in mostly anything else. Still, for my wife's sake, in order to keep some that long, I'll have to make another batch around next Christmas. I don't think my wife would mind. :try

I am at the stabilising and clearing stage for this kit and I have a question.

I'm used to racking a wine before stabilising but the instructions for this kit have a big note to NOT rack before stabilising, and that the sediment must be stirred back into suspension.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this?

Thanks in advance

Doug

Agree, it all depends on the fining agents used an d this agent requires the use of havng more sediment to attach to.

Agreed also! Pretty much the same for all Winexpert kits. Follow instructions and it will clear nicely :b

Frangelico is a hazelnut liquor. A buddy added some to a sherry, and it turned out excellent. I think it would be great with a chocolate port, but not sure about a raspberry chocolate port. I cant see messing with this kit at all, I would say this is the best testing kit dessert wine out there!

I just read all these posts about the CRP. For those that had a stuck fermentation, did the kit come with 2 packs of yeast then???? The kit I just got has 2 packs of Red Star Premier Cuvee. I read one of the other posts where someone (Wade I think) thought he might use 2 packs of Lalvin EC-1118 if he made it again because of stuck fermentation. I have both but think I will go with the Red Star included with the kit. Just wondering if this was a change to try to help this kit finish. I will be keeping an eye on it and following all the great suggestions I got from reading this thread. Thanks all.

Jason

I would use 2 packets of yeast with this kit due to the strain it puts on the yeast with all the sugar. Whether it be the EC-1118 or the Red Star Premier Cuvee.

I have my CRP going right now. I just finished up adding the dextrose for the chapaltization. So far no real snags. I may end up regretting only getting one kit though!

I have my CRP going right now. I just finished up adding the dextrose for the chapaltization. So far no real snags. I may end up regretting only getting one kit though!

You will! I made it last year and ordered it again this year. I have to keep the wife out of it or it won't last.

Two days and I'm down to 1.040 I am considering adding 1/3 of the the dextrose tonight based on what I have read. Think i will give it a whip as well. Anyone think this is a bad idea? i also thought of yeast nutrient or energizer but it going ok so don't know if I need that.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I will post a more thorough intro shortly. In the interim, I've made a number of WE kits, but this is my first CRP which I will start this weekend. This thread has been a tremendous help. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Just one point of clarification about gradually adding the chapatalization pack in parts. Is the best strategy to add it in three or four parts over three or four consecutive days? Or rather add part, wait for SG to drop down to 1.020 again, then add the next part, wait for SG to drop down to 1.020, and so on?

That is a question I was going to ask as well. You beat me to it. Good luck with yours. I just added 1/2 the dextrose today when it got to 1.020.

Latest posts

Back