WineXpert Chocolate Rasberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me add that if I misunderstood and 1.020 was AFTER you added the F pack, that is fine.

you are correct. the 1020 was before the f pack,but after all the sugar had been added.

you are correct. the 1020 was before the f pack,but after all the sugar had been added.

You will be fine. I doubt there is much you could have done.

Since I had this same problem, next time I am going to try to get the temperature up to about 78 much sooner. Maybe that way the yeast will have a better environment in which to work just before things start getting uncomfortable for them. I might have raised my temp too late.

Maybe a yeast nutrient added when the sugar pack is added. However, I would think W.E. would know that and have already made adjustments.

But who knows...

I had mine at 77* the whole time and mine stuck at 1.020 both times with adding the sugar slowly and adding it all at once so it just stops where it wants and thats it. There isnt anything else you could have done with the exception of maybe adding less of the f-pack if its too sweet for you but ports are supposed to be sweet.

I had mine at 77* the whole time and mine stuck at 1.020 both times with adding the sugar slowly and adding it all at once so it just stops where it wants and thats it. There isnt anything else you could have done with the exception of maybe adding less of the f-pack if its too sweet for you but ports are supposed to be sweet.

I totally agree... just wish W.E. would point out in the instructions that if it does stop a little early, no great harm will be done.

I think next time I do one I will leave out the last 1/3rd of dextrose unless it makes it way down!

I think next time I do one I will leave out the last 1/3rd of dextrose unless it makes it way down!

That's not a bad idea. Actually, adding a little brandy to make up the difference might be the way to go. Brandy can really smooth out such kit ports.

Mine is stuck at 1.020 as well. Is there nothing that I can do at this point to restart the fermentation? Could I try yeast nutrient or lees from another recently finished red wine? (Lees from primary or secondary?)

How can I calculate the ABV of this port?

I followed the instructions other than racking it to the secondary on day 13. I managed to keep the must at 23*C the whole time. 23*C is 73.4F fyi. Apparently here in Calgary we must take most of the times in kit instructions and add 30% to allow for our altitude. Exception; do not let your wines (other than port) sit in the primary for more than 10 days.

Nov 21 SG 1124
Nov 30 SG 1018 23*C (before adding dextrose)
Nov 30 SG 1030 23*C (After chapatalisation)
Dec 03 SG 1024 23*C
Dec 04 SG 1022 23*C (Racked to secondary on advice from LHBS)
Jan 22 SG 1020 23*C

Things I would try differently next time:
1) Add dextrose in batches over time or by watching the SG
2) If the secondary fermentation is taking a long time to finish I would at least agitate the lees or stir them right in to get more live yeast cells.
3) Stir often.

Mine hit 1.030 yesterday after one week in the primary. I'm going to give it a couple more days before I check it again. The kit I have calls for 1.020 or lower at this point before the next step.

OK, this is a first for me...
My choc Raspberry port is finally clear and ready to rack to a clean carboy. I added the clarifier only three weeks ago.

Last night my wife and I played cards with some good friends. I decided to thief out about a cup of the port so we could all try a young, green choc R. port. I warned them about the tart, green taste they should expect to find.

Well, to my surprise it had no green taste or KT at all. It was very good right out of the carboy!

As a matter of fact, my wife talked me into going back for seconds for her and her friend. I, personally am not too crazy about sweet wines, but she loves them. Still, for a very sweet taste, it was really nice for me to try.

The moral of the story - you guys and gals, who are making this port, are going to be pleasantly surprised.

It is ready to drink, but likely will get even better with a little age.

Let this clear for awhile as it likes to drop sediment for a long time and yes it will keep improving for some time.

Let this clear for awhile as it likes to drop sediment for a long time and yes it will keep improving for some time.

Yep, I won't bottle it (what's left of it!!!) for several more months. I like to bulk age everything, as I've seen sediment form long after the instructions say it's time to bottle.

I'm looking forward to it getting even better, though. I am surprised that it is actually drinkable this early. This has never happened to me before with any red (wine), especially from a kit.

This was my first and only port kit so far. I tasted an RJS white chocolate - white port a few months ago. It was very nice and an early drinker. Unlike my wife, I am not very fond of Raspberry-anything, so I'll likely make something besides the Choc Rasp. port next time.

I like the RJS White Chocolate much better then the Orange Chocolate, I dont like that one at all and unfortunately I made a dble batch of that judging by what everyone was saying.

Thanks for the info Robie! This also reminds me that I need to check mine in the primary tonight.

I like the RJS White Chocolate much better then the Orange Chocolate, I dont like that one at all and unfortunately I made a dble batch of that judging by what everyone was saying.

Double portion! Oh no! Never tried the orange choc port. Like I said, my wife is the raspberry lover, not me. I do believe I'll make the white choc white port for Christmas gifts next year. The wife liked it as well.

Yeah, the CRP is great right out of the carboy. My oldest one is now about 15 months old I think. I just had a bottle of it and it is much smoother now, and less candy-like. There's less chocolate up front and the raspberry flavour is now coming through a lot more than at bottling time. I've heard of people that have had bottles of this stuff after 4 years of aging that said it was absolute dynamite. I don't know if I'll ever make it that long, but 2-3 years is a definite possibility!

Now I play the waiting game...

Mine made it to just about that and my wife gave out the last bottle!!! Between that and her reorganizing my cellar trying to help me and combining two batches of Raspberry wine with the same labels that I had seperated for a specific reason I had to lock the door and not show anyone where I keep the key!!!

I wrote to Winexperts and they advised me to stabilize it as at 1.020 it is close enough. Even Tim got involved when my questions became involved enough. It sounds like the alcohol will be above 15% and it will be something like 10% sweeter than expected which they promised will be undetectable.

D

Back