WineXpert Chocolate Rasberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep them. There will be a time you need it.
"think out of the box"

Yes, keep them around as sometimes you just run into a wine that just wont clear on its own.

Hello Folks,
I am brand new to wine making, and my friends who are fairly experienced suggested (strongly) that I start with a kit. A local shop had one left on sale for $50!
Thank you to all who have posted your thoughts and comments about this kit. I am sure they will be most helpful in the many months to come.
On a side note, I have yet to add the yeast as the temp is still only 65F. I have my primary on a small heating pad, and will go buy a brew belt in the morning.
I am looking forward to my new hobby.
Dennis Schultz
Superior, WI

You could try thirds.. mine stalled after moving to secondary.. If I did it again.. I'd increment the sugar in smaller additions and also let it ferment out completely in the primary.

good luck and keep updating us.. it would be great to finally have one of these kits ferment out properly.

Allie

As this was my first experience making wine, I am very glad to have read some posts prior to this undertaking. I took the suggestions and added Chap in thirds. I ended up adding just under 2/3rds, which was plenty sweet for me.

I did not realized at the time, but I seemed to have fermented it out completely in the primary, as the SG (1.010) has not moved at all (10 days) since racking into secondary. My vino making friends keep reminding me, "The numbers do not lie." So I guess it is time to move on to the next step. Any thoughts or comments are very much appreciated on this. I have to wonder if it is stuck? The kit says this is where I need to be....or less.

A big thank you for all who post on this site. What a great wealth of knowledge for a newbie like me.

On a side note, I have a three gal. must of plum going. Even though it is still fermenting away in the primary, the sent is heavenly.

Yep, if your at 1.010 your wine is ready for the next step. Way to go on getting it down to the sg. winexpert calls for! By the way welcome to the forum. Can you take a minute and say Hi! to everyone on the introduction part of the forum?

Welcome Denny, Another success story on this kit thrills me as its a great kit if you like a sweeter wine (Port) This kit can really be troublesome and the subject of many threads on many forums with people weeping of kits stopped much earlier.

To UPDATE. It turned out excellent and was very drinkable from day one.

I entered it in a wine contest in La Crosse Wi.a couple weeks ago. It beat out 79 wines. I had two of the judges tell them the would buy it if it was for sale. It won us Best of Show/Vinter of the year. I don't know about Vinter of the year but it was fun to win.
We put alot of work into this wine.

But I should also say thank you. The help on here was a big part of that success. Thank You.

Hello, I am new here and this is my first year making wine. I received two of choc-rasp. kits and read through this thread carefully before starting.
I opened both boxes, have the juice bags in the sink warming up while I am reading directions.
My problem is, only one box has the toasted oak chips included. Should I wait until I obtain another bag before starting? I read in this thread that only one bentonite pack is needed for two kits, so thought I'd check to see how imperative the second pack of oak is. Nothing is is in the primary yet so can wait if I need too.
Thanks for any advice!

Did you inspect both boxes good as the other packet of oak could be hiding in the bottom of one box under the flavor bag as these boxes really get a ride sometimes up side down and everything. If its not there you could proceed and just add some oak cubes later in the game or even better an oak spiral or stave. Kit the temps up on this kit and dont just dump in that extra sugar bag and instead add it a little at a time after it starts fermenting about finishing up the bags of sugar right about when they say to finally add it cause I believe it shocks the yeast adding it all at once and is usually right where every one of these kits get a stuck fermentation. Welcome to our site here and this awesome hobby that will turn into your new obsession!

Wade, Thanks for the welcome and answering so quickly. I removed all the contents of both boxes, lined everything up, and even had my husband look through it all in case I was having a stupid moment! I'll go ahead and get the kit started and order additional oak.
I will follow your directions concerning timing of the sugar addition.

One other question. Would you airlock the primary? I've read on Keller's site that he recommends not doing that but tightly covering the bucket with something "breathable". I've used triple folded cheesecloth before.

Thanks again!

Ive always used an airlok due to a freaking cat in my house that would just love to sit on anything and I dont want CRPC! Ive never had a problem ever fermenting any wine with the exception of this kit. That being said a cloth letting the yeast get 02 is the best method as it lets no bugs in but lets excess C02 out. Get it under airlock though when sg readings are around 1.020 or lower.

CRPC? I'm afraid to ask! Thanks so much for your advice.

SueMc first off welcome to the forum This place is great and lots of knowledgable folks here. Feel free to pop in any time and ask you questions or take a stab at Wade!! Yep, first day here and already the Spielling Poleece. But don't let Wade know as he's kinda sensitive about it. I think he meant he didn't want any cat crap in his wine.:)

I just started the RJS Chocolate Orange Port today. Mine did not come with any oak or extra sugar. I heard the Chocolate Raspberry is the most popular but this is the one SWMBO voted on.

I meant CRPC as in Chocolate Raspberry Port Cat cause that dang cat will get in there or fall in the bucket if I just left a towel over it.

Yep, first day here and already the Spielling Poleece.

Thanks for the welcome! Never could be accused of being the SP!! I figured the initials stood for the outcome for the cat if it ruined a primary full of wine!

This does look like a fun place to be and I sure am enjoying the beginnings of a great activity.

Oh youll love it and your carboys will be duplicating like rabbits! If you dont have a good place to get supplies then check out the links below, they are both very reputable and I and many others use them very often and I can say I have probably put some of their kids through college! :) I also admin the wine forum on the finevinewines forum that is linked to "The Wine Makers Toy Store"
http://finevinewines.com/
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

Latest posts

Back