WineXpert Chocolate Rasberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know what the final ABV for this is? My starting SG was 1.132 which would make it ~18% but that will increase once the dextrose is added.

I believe I took the SG after I added the second batch of sugar. It is at home, I'll check later.

I doubt it actually raised the ABV into the port range. That's why I added some brandy. Even then, I doubt I added enough to seriously affect the ABV. I read from other posts by IBGLOWIN that it can take up to 6 bottles to do that, depending on the starting ABV. I don't know how that would affect the taste before and after.

All I know is mine is very dark, smooth, sweet and creamy and has plenty of ABV for me and mine. Our friends all love it. I made 15 - 375 ml fancy bottles and one 750ml bottle. This Saturday we are giving the bigger bottle to a friend, who really enjoys it.

I doubt it actually raised the ABV into the port range. That's why I added some brandy. Even then, I doubt I added enough to seriously affect the ABV. I read from other posts by IBGLOWIN that it can take up to 6 bottles to do that, depending on the starting ABV. I don't know how that would affect the taste before and after.

Sounds about right for a 6 gallon batch.

If you did a 6 gallon batch that came out 20% port and bottled 1 gallon, then added a gallon (5+-750ml bottles) of 80 proof brandy you'd have 23 1/3% ABV port.

Would it be better to fortify with a more neutral spirit like everclear? Then you would only have to use about half as much.

Would it be better to fortify with a more neutral spirit like everclear? Then you would only have to use about half as much.

I don't know why it wouldn't work out. It wouldn't add any flavors, like brandy. Maybe someone on here has tried EC.

I've tried everclear on a batch of CRP. I think I used about a cup of it. Unfortunately, I haven't tried any of it since I finished the batch about a year and a half ago. Maybe I'll try some of it and post later.

For those who fortify, is there a general rule as to when to do so or not to do so? Such as before, during or after clarification? If after, is it preferred to continue to let it bulk age for a while or is immediate bottling OK?

Since I fortified with brandy, which shouldn't cause anything to fall out, I did it after clearing. That way I also could taste as I fortified. I tasted as I fortified, because I was not concerned about reaching any specific ABV, rather I simply was after a pleasing taste and balance.

If you want a specific ABV and you know your current ABV, there are formulas for that.

When adding the dextrose (chapalization pack) in thirds, how long after the first 1/3 do you wait until adding the 2nd 1/3? 24 hours? Longer? Once the SG goes below 1.020 again?

TIA

When adding the dextrose (chapalization pack) in thirds, how long after the first 1/3 do you wait until adding the 2nd 1/3? 24 hours? Longer? Once the SG goes below 1.020 again?

TIA

I just added and stirred 1/3 every 24 hours. The fermentation stayed active and got down to 1.013 by the 11th day.

What is a good source for the WE Choc Rasp Port kit, I called George & he says they do not carry that kit anymore. It sounds so good I'll have to try making it. Roy

George doesn't carry any of the WE kit line. There are many on the internet that do. Just get on the internet and google wineXpert kits.

Its a limited edition kit so its probably not around yet but usually comes out right around now. Midwest Supplies would be a good place to get it though when it does come around. If you do find a place that has 1 right now ask them to see the date code as it may be old.

What is a good source for the WE Choc Rasp Port kit, I called George & he says they do not carry that kit anymore. It sounds so good I'll have to try making it. Roy

I preordered one from Midwest in July (and it was just delivered last week), I was one of the first ones to order and they sold out shortly after that.

Since people tend to buy 2 of these kits (to make 6 gal) they sell out pretty fast.

Your best bet is to shoot for next year or try a clone recipe.

Follow up: I added the dextrose in 3 parts, 24 hours apart, my SG is <1.020 and still bubbling, the instructions say rack it to secondary once it hits <1.018, but I'm going to wait until its closer to the final 1.010 SG, as my previous wines haven't changed much (or at all) when placed into the secondary.

I would to and Id actually try and let this ferment as far as it will before racking.

I also added my sugar over 3 days around the 1.020 level. At 1.015 I transferred it to the secondary. Even there was allot of air lock activity for quite awhile, it only fermented down to 1.010. I degassed, put into a pail added the f pack and chemicals. I then rack back to the carboy and put the left over onto a 1 ltr bottle. In a couple weeks I will rack off the sediment and hopefully have enough extra in my bottle to top back up for further aging.

cheers

I also added my sugar over 3 days around the 1.020 level. At 1.015 I transferred it to the secondary. Even there was allot of air lock activity for quite awhile, it only fermented down to 1.010. I degassed, put into a pail added the f pack and chemicals. I then rack back to the carboy and put the left over onto a 1 ltr bottle. In a couple weeks I will rack off the sediment and hopefully have enough extra in my bottle to top back up for further aging.

cheers
Yep, mine fermented down to 1.010 also, was 1.013 when racking.:se

Hey all! My CRP is clear and I am bulk aging.. How long would you bulk age this? I usually bulk age 8-10 months before I bottle.. Is port any different?

Back