Chocolate Cherry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodfella, This has turned out to be probably the best wine I have made to date. Nice chocolate taste up front followed by cherry. It has a velvety texture Very nice. It's plenty drinkable right now but I am opting to wait till jan that will be 1 year.

BOB

Oh wow.... Thats great Bob!!!

I think I might barrow your recipeif you don't mind. You can PM me if you have any tricks up your sleeve!!! Haha

Goodfella, the only thing I did was to slowly keep adding sugar untill the yeast stopped and added an F-pack of cherry juice 3qts reduced to 1qt. added 2 vanilla beans and 1 1/2 oz medium toast hungarian oak. I added a little too much sugar the last round and it ended up at 1.030 I know that sounds a little sweet but it does not come off tasting that sweet. Just about what you would expect from a port.

BOB

That sounds awesome and like Goodfella and you said 1.030 is right about perfect for a Port!
smiley32.gif

Funny question.....

Do you guys have any suggestions for gadgets used in getting the pits out of cherries?

OXO makes a good cherry pitter. Crate and barrel has it, probably williams sonoma, maybe even target.

(3 gallon )Chocolate Cherry Port1/20 /10

2.5 galCherry juice(steam juiced)
( Montmorency Cherries)

May be an elementary question, but did you purchase this juice? Do you remember who the manufacturer was or know where you can get it? This wine sounds great and I'd love to give it a shot!

May be an elementary question, but did you purchase this juice? Do you remember who the manufacturer was or know where you can get it? This wine sounds great and I'd love to give it a shot!

Bob used a steam juicer. Quite a few folks use them on here. Think he also used the cherries off his own tree. I do not own a steam juicer, but a lot of the people here really like them. Arne.

Bob used a steam juicer. Quite a few folks use them on here. Think he also used the cherries off his own tree. I do not own a steam juicer, but a lot of the people here really like them. Arne.

Thanks Arne -
So what do you guys think...If I ordered cherry concentrate from here do you think I'd get a decent product, or do you think it's too concentrated? 32oz makes 2 gallons.

You could also try ordering from here . I've ordered a few of their concentrates and I've been very happy with them.

Another newbie question. I think this may be a typo. But it says "NoAcid Blend" I'm guessing that means "do not add any acid blends", not "Add some "NoAcid" blend" Making "NoAcid" a wine making ingredient. Is that correct?

Latest posts

Back