Chill or not to chill?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally enjoy my whites chilled and have recently been getting more into drinking reds. I do not chill the reds that I have been drinking lately.

It depends on how YOU like it.

Steve

Steve makes an excellent point. The link that I posted is what the "experts" propound or what the "traditional" serving temperatures should be. In the end, it really depends on what you like.

"You can't please everybody, so you got to please yourself." Garden Party by Ricky Nelson

It depends on what wine you are serving. Take a read on this: http://www.intowine.com/enjoy.html

I think I've agreed with everything I've seen you post, but your attachment takes wine temperature to extremes: NZ Cabernet 50F, Wash. Cabernet 57F, Aust. Cabernet 63F, Calif Cabernet 65F and temperature differences between northern and southern French and Italian Cabernet.

Like others have said, it's what you like.

My cellar is a constant 60 degrees and that is what I serve my reds at. I always chill my whites.

It's all about what you like, when I started drinking wine, they all had to be chilled, red or not. Then I started noticing that I liked the taste of the reds better as I got closer to the bottom of the glass. This was because it was warmed up some.

The experts will say somewhere in the 60s for reds, and I think that's about where I like them. But really, drink them how you like them.

Not only are the rules changing about temperatures that wines SHOULD be drank at but so are the rules of wine and food pairing. People venturing away from traditional are finding out they like some red's chilled a bit just as they're drinking whites with red meat. It's what ever you and your spouse/guest likes.

I like reds and whites chilled but I do believe that wines at warmer temps you can taste more individual flavors that are picked up easier at warmer temps if that makes sense. But yes I even put ice in my wine glass at times

Latest posts

Back