Chilean wines. 6 gallon?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eriewineguy

Reaction score
So I got my first buckets of Chilean juice this month. Fermentation went well, and all progressed to the proper sg well. So I go to rack my first bucket into my brand new 6 gallon carboy. I end up being WAY short. I topped with a 750 ml and LOTS of marbles. Second bucket...same thing. Third bucket I completely filled a 5 gall carboy and only had a 1.5 liter wine bottle left. I'm going to use the 1.5 l bottle for topping on further racks.

Am I missing something? Are Chilean wines 6 imperial gallons? Are 6 gallon carboys really bigger? Anyone have same issue?

There are 3 sizes of carboys: 6.5 gallon, 6 gallon, and 5 gallon. The 6.5 gallon is usually used for beer. I rack from primary to 6 gallon carboy at 1.010 moving most but not all of the liquid and put an airlock on it. At that point there is an air space but I don't worry about it because it is still an active fermentation. When fermentation is complete I rack to a 5 gallon carboy and a 1.5 L bottle. At this time there is no air space. At the next racking I use the 1.5 L bottle to top off. In the end a 6 gallon kit or bucket ends up being about 5 gallons of wine. My total equipment is two 7.5 gallon plastic buckets, two 6 gallon carboys, and multiple 5 gallon carboys for long term aging, 6 months or so, and then bottling.
Joe

There are variations in the sizes as well... Meaning, different 6 gallon carboys will hold slightly different amounts of liquid before they are at the same point in the neck.. The same is true with 5 gallon carboys.. I'm not sure how large a variation there is on 3-gallon carboys and there isnt much at all on 1-gallon jugs

I have several 5 gallons and each one is slightly different.. Most are in the same ballpark but one is about 375ml short and another is about 375ml over

I have to ask where you got it at because there is also is difference in suppliers. If you bought it at Luva Bellas or Presque Isle those pails have at least 750ml over 6 gallons. I have ten of them going right now. I hate the fact of using marbles and suggest racking down to five gallons and using another small vessal. Then use the smaller vessal for topping up when need be.

I have to ask where you got it at because there is also is difference in suppliers. If you bought it at Luva Bellas or Presque Isle those pails have at least 750ml over 6 gallons. I have ten of them going right now. I hate the fact of using marbles and suggest racking down to five gallons and using another small vessal. Then use the smaller vessal for topping up when need be.

Having multiple carboys of different sizes also, I also have various sizes of glass bottles & jugs from 375's, 750's, 1/2 gal, & gal to use depending on whats left over from the buckets. I just have to remember to label each one so I know what bottle belongs to what juice. All my juices from Luva Bella have been filled right to the brim, so I'm sure it a little more than the 6 gal.
Al

Like Runningwolf I buy my buckets from Luva Bella's and have always gotten more than 6 gallons

The only juice buckets that I have purchased came from L'Uva Bella. I have seen both scenarios on occasion, some more than 6 gallons, some less.

my chilean juice is Bello Chilean and they were all rated at 6 gals. Most of my carboys are 5 gallons, but I keep a variety of 3, 2, and 1 gallon sizes. So when there are variations I can use the smaller format carboys for topping off or taking excess, minimizing the waste. It was a small investment at first, but it has paid awesome dividends in having not to use other wine for topping off.

Back