Chilean Order Form

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are juice pails and you ferment them in the pails they come in. Never add water. Thats why I went the route I did plus for some experimenting.

These are juice pails and you ferment them in the pails they come in. Never add water. Thats why I went the route I did plus for some experimenting.

Ok. I've never made a juice pale. I like the 6 gallon carboy price as well. is there no way of using these with the pales? do you lose too much when racking to make them effective?

Last edited:
Dave, you just let them warm up, take the top off and stir. The pails are already innoculated with yeast and they take right off. When fermentation is almost done, rack into a 6 gallon carboy, though a 7.5 gallon carboy would be better for when you sulfite and stabilize (I usually get the Bellagio wine fountain when I add the stabilizer).
Most of my juice has been sitting in bulk for a year. It's about time to bottle. I have about 50 cases to bottle.

DaveL, You certainly can use the 6 gallon carboys with the pails of juice. Actually the juice pails contain about 6.5 gallons and when racking to a 6 gallon carboy are just about perfect. If you need to top off just use something similar. If it is a red, I always top off with a Merlot. It blends with everything!

Thanks for the help. I will definetly try this. So much to learn. I like this addiction just for that reason I think. So many ways to go so much to learn.
@ Hokapsig, when you speak of the wine fountain you are refering to degassing at the same time correct? When you mention Bellagio my other hobby comes to mind, AK suited.
These pails would then be reusable as primaries?

(I usually get the Bellagio wine fountain when I add the stabilizer)

'Bellagio' aftermath (although he did it degassing, not adding stabilizers); pic courtesy of Wade :)

Volcano.jpg

'Bellagio' aftermath (although he did it degassing, not adding stabilizers); pic courtesy of Wade :)

Volcano.jpg

Dang!
moment of silence is in order.,,,,brings a tear to the eye.

Double dang just realized where this is. Couldn't be much farther from me and still be in PA.

Is that all there is to the buckets? No measuring of brix, acid, etc, making adjustments, and carefully choosing yeast? And they turn out really well?

DaveL said:
Dang!
moment of silence is in order.,,,,brings a tear to the eye.

Double dang just realized where this is. Couldn't be much farther from me and still be in PA.

Gotta love wine volcanos. I learned the hard way myself by adding a cup of sugar midway into fermentation. Probably lost 1/2 gallon. :(

Boat, I am going to check my pH on mine prior to bottling, although they are supposed to be balanced. I may add a tad of acid blend or some tartaric due to one being a bit watery tasting. Doug has told me that he sulfites his and adds his own yeast. My buckets have all started out right around 1.080.

That sodium benzoate can definately kick up some foam....

Is that all there is to the buckets? No measuring of brix, acid, etc, making adjustments, and carefully choosing yeast? And they turn out really well?

The simple short answer is "yes".

Now with that said you can make the process as easy or difficult as you want and that all depends upon your experience in winemaking. I just offered a class two weeks ago on making the Chilean Juice. Yes you can chose your own yeast, adjust acid, add oak, adjust brix and do a Malo Lactic Acid fermentation followed up with cold stabilization. I just talked to an advanced winemaker that took off the lid and let "er rip! He said it was one of the best Malbecs he ever made.

Dan, If I order juice from the form on your first post, do I pick up the juice at PI or Luva?

Latest posts

Back