Chilean Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you making?

I'm leaning toward a field blend Cab/Syrah/Merlot. 4 lugs of Cab, 2 Syrah, and 1 Merlot. May grab a bucket of Viognier too.

I'm getting a bucket of malbec and a lug of grapes plus 3 buckets of sauvignon blanc, made alot of good wine from there buckets, my wife loves the sauv. blanc

Just placed my pre order! A bucket of sauvignon blanc and a bucket of carmenere with a lug of cab sav. Money down means I can't keep changing my mind anymore.

I've never made wine from fresh grapes and was wondering, if I were to get a Paul if the Syrah and a lug of Syrah grapes, would I just crush the grapes and add them to the pail? I was going to do the Oregon Pinot le kit from we, but after looking at these prices and seeing this place is only an hour away, I can do two pails for the price of that kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks, that post actually answered my next three questions. This will be my first MLF also. I'm just curious if I can fit everything into my roughly 7 gallon primary or if I should upgrade to something a little bigger. I think the only difference with his is that I'm going to use oak spirals as I unfortunately don't have the room for a barrel right now.

Thanks, that post actually answered my next three questions. This will be my first MLF also. I'm just curious if I can fit everything into my roughly 7 gallon primary or if I should upgrade to something a little bigger. I think the only difference with his is that I'm going to use oak spirals as I unfortunately don't have the room for a barrel right now.

Pour half the juice into your fermenter, leaving the other half in the bucket it came in. Split the grapes up as well, and you are all set.

I am inspired to take the plunge! Pre-ordered a bucket of the Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon from Harford Vineyard. They are about 90 minutes from me, so it will be a nice excursion when the time comes.
Heather

It be nice if we could all plan to be there the same time to pick up our juice. Maybe we could exchange some of our wines.

It be nice if we could all plan to be there the same time to pick up our juice. Maybe we could exchange some of our wines.

I'd definitely be up for that. I will start a thread in the "meetups" section.

Ordered this morning. I ended up going with the 3/2/1 Cab/Syrah/Merlot in fresh grapes, and did go ahead with the Viognier bucket as well. I've got to get some bottling done in the next several weeks.

Does the pails from harford come pre inoculated with yeast? I keep seeing that some of them do and if they do this effects my timeline for getting them going.

Does the pails from harford come pre inoculated with yeast? I keep seeing that some of them do and if they do this effects my timeline for getting them going.

No - at least for the ones Harford had last year. You'll have to purchase yeast either from them, or someone else. Best to check with them directly to confirm.

That would be perfect. I feel like I would rush to get my grapes pressed and thrown in before it started fermenting. I'm planning on throwing some peptic enzyme in with it and want to give it a day or so to get an accurate sg.

Just checked. They do not come pre-inoculated. Also, I was told if I wanted to pick up the stuff to do MLF to let them know in the comments section so they have some. I've never done it before so I'm just going to grab some from there.

Just checked. They do not come pre-inoculated. Also, I was told if I wanted to pick up the stuff to do MLF to let them know in the comments section so they have some. I've never done it before so I'm just going to grab some from there.

They used to carry Bacchus MLB, but last fall, started selling a WyYeast liquid culture. I have not read good things about that culture, so I didn't use it - went with Vp41 instead. I think you'd be better off ordering Bacchus from MoreWine or another vendor. IIRC, the price was about the same as the WyYeast from Harford.

Chilean juices are available in the Albany, NY area from Gabrielle's Supermarket. www.gabfoods.com They've taken an order already, not sure if you'd be able to contact the owner for a late add-in. Pick-up is the first week of May.

*edit* I have no affiliation with Gabrielle's supermarket, and this is my first time getting juice from them!

Latest posts

Back