Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On October 19 we picked up 6 gallons of Cherry Juice that was adjusted to 21brix from Mobilla Farms in Northeast PA. This has got to be one of the longest ferments I have ever had. I checked the sg last night and it was sitting at 1.022. Nutrients and energizer has been added along the way. I went with D47 yeast and it's stirred 2x a day. Should be good when it's done....

My last Cherry wine tasted like cough syrup for a long time but after a year it was great. Dont give up on it nearly

My last Cherry wine tasted like cough syrup for a long time but after a year it was great. Dont give up on it nearly

I'm actually looking forward to this. I'm surprised by the slow ferment this is undertaking. Usually 2 weeks in the bucket and they are fermented dry. This is still slowly chugging along.

I really believe it is better for a fruit wine to have a slow ferment.

I really believe it is better for a fruit wine to have a slow ferment.
I agree and this has definately been a slow ferment. If I transfer on Saturday, it will be 3 weeks to get to that point and it still won't be completely done fermenting.

Seems like things are better if you have to wait for them. Works really well with winemaking. I would envy you,Doug, but I am sitting on almost 20 gal. of cherry wine waiting to be bottled. Stuff is really good. Hope yours turns out even better. Arne.

Seems like things are better if you have to wait for them. Works really well with winemaking. I would envy you,Doug, but I am sitting on almost 20 gal. of cherry wine waiting to be bottled. Stuff is really good. Hope yours turns out even better. Arne.

Thanks Arne. I've been wanting to try a cherry wine for some time. Last year was a bad crop for cherries from what they said. I couldnt pass it up this year. Any recommendations for sweetness or acid %? I'm in no hurry for this. Hoping to let it age at least 9 months before it sees bottles. Ideal would be a year. All depens on the need for empty carboys when stuff is bottled.

I just started a gallon with canned tart cherries (here.) The must tastes just like cherry pie filling.

On the pie cherries from my tree, I don't mess with the acid. It seems like they are a little too acidic when the ferment is done, but after 6 to 9 months or so, the acid goes away and they become real smooth. I think I take the sugar up somewhere around 1.010. Each batch is a little different, I do a bench test and sweeten according to that. Course, everybody has different tastes and will like it at a different sweetness. Good luck with it, Arne.

I transferred the Cherry wine to a carboy yesterday. Such a pretty color...I can't wait til it's time to bottle. We'll see how this tastes in 9 months.

I just racked 5 gallons of my own. The color is amazing and definitely very cherry!

Back