Chemically stop fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
If my wine taste okay, and it is of the alcohol content is where I like it, can I add my campden tablets and sorbate to stop fermentation at that point. Let it clear and bottle it. I don't want another batch of rocket fuel.

Semper Fi

nope you can't do it..you'll have exploding wine bottles..

you'll have to let it ferment out ..

do you have a hydrometer? Using a hydrometer will allow you to choose the finished alcohol in the wine right from the beginning of the process.

Allie

Bud, it's almost impossible to stop fermentation and keep it stopped. You would have to use a filtration and light sterilization unit for that.

Sorbate only puts a coating around the yeasts so they can't "bud" (sorry, that's what it's called). Existing yeasts will go into dormancy until the temps warm up, additional sugar is found as well as nutrients or others.

Then as Allie said, your bottles will blow, corks will push out or both. Let nature and time do their thing.

Sp Gr a little less than .990

Looks like another batch of rocket fuel. The wine is 1 Gallon of Peach, it has a beautiful color, but I can't taste anything but alcohol. If I just let it set there and ferment out, how would I calculate how much sugar to put in the next batch of wine to end up with a alcohol content of about 10%. I would probably make grape wine. Also, white grapes are $.99/lb and red grapes are $1.39/lb, is there that much difference in the wines or is one easier to make than the other? If this is a way out of this mess, which grape should I use?
My first wine turned out real good, it was the pear that I busted up with a sledge hammer. I guess a blind hog will root up a acorn every once in a while.
I don't know if this is a standard compliment or not, but, I gave a Lady friend a bottle and she called and said that if she had gotten sick and thrown it up, she would have caught it in a bottle and sold it for $10, I think she was just trying to make me feel good, so I'd give her another bottle.

Semper Fi

Hiya Bud,

For some reason peach wine always tastes 'hot' when fresh even when I've kept the SG to 1.080, it tastes strongly of the alcohol.. it may calm down quite a lot, with a liberal amount of sweetening.. I'd suggest you do it with a peach f-pac.. or some brand of strong peach syrup from the supermarket..

The USA seems to have a bit of a love affair with syrups and sauces, to go with pancakes and waffles.. you have a lot more choice flavourwise than in my country.

Then put the bottles away for at least a year.

Allie

I agree, you need to just let it age and theb abv will settle letting the fruit flavor show through. What was the starting sg on this?

add more fruit and turn it into a larger batch. That will bring down ABV. Canned peaches would work, just dont add the juices because it is mostly corn or high fructose syrup. That would just make it even more fuely

Started with SpGr of 1.080, but I just read where you are suspose to take that reading before you add anything. I had already added the pectin and acid blend.

Semper Fi

If I turned it into a larger batch (say 4 gallons, since I have a 4 gallon carboy)
How would I do that? Start the 4 gallons with a SpGr of about 1.040 in the must and when I rack it to the carboy, blend the two together several times?
That's just a stab in the dark as to how to do it, so how would you suggest?

Thanks for any help

Semper Fi

the pectin and acid blend wouldn't have affected the reading.. your SG was 1.080..

Allie

If I turned it into a larger batch (say 4 gallons, since I have a 4 gallon carboy)
How would I do that? Start the 4 gallons with a SpGr of about 1.040 in the must and when I rack it to the carboy, blend the two together several times?
That's just a stab in the dark as to how to do it, so how would you suggest?

Thanks for any help

Semper Fi

it's at the right alcohol level.. it just needs to be backsweetened and aged..

start planning your next wine Bud..

:br

Okay, here's my plan: Add Campden and Sorbate, wait a week and back sweeten. After back sweeting, bottle it and let it age for about a year.
Is this right and in the right order ?

Thanks again and again

Semper Fi

Okay, here's my plan: Add Campden and Sorbate, wait a week and back sweeten. After back sweeting, bottle it and let it age for about a year.
Is this right and in the right order ?

Thanks again and again

Semper Fi

I wouldn't rush to bottle it - some fruit wines can be troublesome to clear. Might think about adding a fining agent as well. I left mine in the carboy for 6 months before bottling.

if you use canned peaches for making the wine should you strain them off of there syrup? or dump it all in the bag and add water and take a reading and then add sugar to get to the 1.085sg? i would imagine that the syrup is mostly sugar so i could just cut back on the amount of sugar i add?

Use the syrup in the primary and the syrup can be used as a f-pac afterwards if you feel it has enough flavor.

Back