Cheese Makers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkerstone

Addict
Reaction score
Hi Folks, Wine & Cheese are my two little luxuries in life :D

I've already made a good start on the wine production and I am about to begin cheese.

I'm being ambitous and attempting a blue cheese to begin with, as soon as my culture gets here in a few days I'll be getting the starter ready and getting making!

Anyone else on the forums make there own cheeses and have any advice for a beginner? Or just love a good ole lump of cheese.

Dan

Last edited:
Quite a few of us make cheese. There is a whole "topic" under "other topics" on the main page of the forum. I admire your courage in tackling blue cheese to start. You don't like to ease into things, do you? :)

Wow, going with a blue cheese for the first time, not recomended but nothing like jumping into the deep end on the first trip to the pool. :).
I recomend starting with a Mozerella for the first try, its easy, no press needed or aging. Its ready in about an hour. A latic, or milk cheese is also a good one, takes a little longer but still easy. Its like cream cheese. Getting into the "hard" ( style and some what making skill) cheeses requires more equipment and aging. You'll find a lot under this heading: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f79/

good luck, BTW we sell a full line of cheese equipment and supplies.

LOL, while the last thing I would do is discourage anyone for trying to make a cheese but you really should start off with something a little simpler, it will help you in understanding the process and that in turn will ensure you a much better success rate.

Like Brew & Supply stated, a mozza is pretty basic and a great way to start. After that I would make Farmhouse cheddar before starting a blue cheese.

Quite a few of us make cheese. There is a whole "topic" under "other topics" on the main page of the forum. I admire your courage in tackling blue cheese to start. You don't like to ease into things, do you? :)

How the heck did I miss that! -_- I learn faster this way, plus Blue cheese is my cheese of choice to eat.

Wow, going with a blue cheese for the first time, not recomended but nothing like jumping into the deep end on the first trip to the pool. :).
I recomend starting with a Mozerella for the first try, its easy, no press needed or aging. Its ready in about an hour. A latic, or milk cheese is also a good one, takes a little longer but still easy. Its like cream cheese. Getting into the "hard" ( style and some what making skill) cheeses requires more equipment and aging. You'll find a lot under this heading: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f79/

good luck, BTW we sell a full line of cheese equipment and supplies.

Thanks for the heads up and advice, I would go for something easier but I'm not at all a fan of Moz- the wife is but she hasn't read this so lets just keep that our little secret. I expect her help me make it and if she knows I picked the hard cheese she might just abandon me!

I'd check out the products you offer but I'm in the UK so I'm thinking shipping would be a pain in A, not to mention the pocket.

LOL, while the last thing I would do is discourage anyone for trying to make a cheese but you really should start off with something a little simpler, it will help you in understanding the process and that in turn will ensure you a much better success rate.

Like Brew & Supply stated, a mozza is pretty basic and a great way to start. After that I would make Farmhouse cheddar before starting a blue cheese.

Thanks Julie, I just popped over to the cheese section and read through your Farmhouse thread, It might well be a viable alternative, yours looks great!!

I'm afraid to say folks despite your kind advice and logical warnings I am going to pursue the blue :) I know it might be a complete failure but I'll still eat it! However fowl it gets :D part of the reason for wanting to start with the blue is that it takes a fair bit of time to age well so I'm figuring the sooner I get making, the sooner I get eating :) and then I'll attempt a brie or camembert

When I make any progress I'll get a thread started on the Cheese section to let you know how it's going :)

Cheers,

Dan

Sorry, did'nt try to discourage you, just thought it was a big jump for most people but then again I know the feeling of the deep end of the pool on things. Go with the blue and let us know how it works out.

UK, yup a problem here right now, sorry. Still working the bugs out for local shipping let alone something across the pond. LOL

I know, I only read it as friendly advice : ) Will keep you all posted ;)

Thanks,

Dan

Latest posts

Back