Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marquette growing like a weed and Corot Noir & Noiret in decline?

So here are some progress pics for this season. I hit all vines last weekend with fertilizer. The Marquette have just exploded with growth everywhere. Thye are finally starting to look like what Rich and others do, shoots going everywhere and growing inches in a day it seems. The Corot Noir and Noiret look like they are fading fast into the sunset. I pulled out the one Noiret a few weeks back it was dead as a doorknob. That vine had just beautiful clusters last Fall. Looks like the Marquette is living up to its potential.

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

Looking good, Mike! Re the fertilizer for the Marquette, was it necessary due to poor soil conditions? I know that it's not normally recommended because of the nutrients going to the excessive vegetative growth vs. the root system, trunk, etc. Or am I wrong on that? Wouldn't be surprised if I was, though.

Bob

We have horrible soil Bob, very thin, lots of volcanic rock, no organic, little to no nutrients. The Marquette looks quite happy now that they have had some nutrients.

Looks good... I'm thinking you have too much grass in that backyard, though. Since you have that new, instant shed, maybe you need to double your production area, too! :D

I wish I could figure out whats going on with the Noiret and Corot Noir. Just weird that they looked happy and healthy last year and this year they are not growing and seem to be fading away.

I guess they both do better on a soil like yours when grafted on a rootstock for droughty soils. Yours were bareroot I believe - I know at least some were.

The one I lost this Spring was one of my initial grafted vines from Double A. The pic of the vine with almost no growth is a bareroot. Guess we will see what they do. May have to rip em out and add more Marquette next year.

icon_da.gif

Have you been watering it adequately Mike? If not set up a sprinkler head on it and water once a day. See if that helps it to spring up. ....................................................

Its on a drip I have been giving it extra water (by hand) as nothing is happening growth wise since bud break. Have a few tiny leaves and a few clusters but no real growth day to day See the last picture of the most recent pics. I have hit it with a dose a fertilizer twice now.

Been waiting for 3 weeks for that "instant shed" to build itself and no luck still. Need to find some time, energy and motivation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2O
Since you have that new, instant shed.....
Sorry, I was referring to the shed Mike. It's that bad sense of humor thing I have.
Rich, Mike's worried about the shed - I'm not concerned about the shed... That can be on the back burner until it's needed. I'm concerned about those vines! Thus, my point about "too much grass in the backyard..."

He's had the wedding... and the grass is growing great... and takes time to cut! And, obviously the soil there grows stuff (the grass). It's simple logic! It seems to me that he should double or triple the size of his vineyard! :db

After all, it takes the same amount of stress and angst to worry about 40 or 50 - or even more - struggling vines on volcanic soil, as it does for the ones he's looking at over coffee each morning! :r

Last edited:
Dave you are such a BAD influence on me says my better half anyway! :)

Don't think I haven't thought about it. It would be easy enough to turn the entire backyard into a real vineyard. Problem is those darn kids in SOCAL are turning the screws trying to get us to retire out that way one day soon. It would be easier to sell this place with a beautiful backyard of bluegrass than of grape vines. LOL

Don't think I haven't thought about it. It would be easy enough to turn the entire backyard into a real vineyard. Problem is those darn kids in SOCAL are turning the screws trying to get us to retire out that way one day soon. It would be easier to sell this place with a beautiful backyard of bluegrass than of grape vines. LOL

So you rent it out..

And write into the lease contract that if the grapes die for whatever reason, the lease is terminated.. Then you have automatic-help come harvest time, cause you write that in too :)

I'm sure you could find someone in the opposite situation - retiring, to get away from everyone.. And they'd love to sit around and watch the grapes grow, and water them.. :)

I am thinking (hoping) that we can hold on to this place for the Summer home (and grapes) and just go spend extended periods of time in the Winter out in SOCAL with the grandkids (someday).

Back