Resurrection of dead vine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
B5E3FAD7-E427-4D2A-827C-A68767944CEA.jpeg
This vine had a lot of rot last year and everything above ground died. I was going to dig up the roots when I noticed that it was alive and pushing up new shoots. It will be interesting to see if the new shoots survive. That makes two survivors out of three that died over the winter. I also had an Itasca vine die which was in a spot that has a history of killing vines. I lost two Marquette vines in the same hole. I’ve dug up the spot and it looks like the rest of the vineyard, the soil ph is good, but it just keeps killing the vines after two years.

Right now the vine has recovered with a full canopy. The soil is loose sandy loam and the vines are all hybrids so no phylloxera. I’m leaning towards a trunk disease so the new growth will probably die as well but I’ll leave it alone and see what happens

Re: the spot that is killing vines. Was anything growing in that spot before the vines? How far away from healthy vines? It seems like something might be lingering from the past. How distant is the past? When digging in that spot, how deep did you go?

From my limited experience it seems that infected ground in a vineyard needs at least two years to recover from any root illness/virus - crown gall.......

That was going to be my suggestion. I'm astounded by the differences in soils that I see in my vineyard.

Latest posts

Back