Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bwahahahaha......

Who knew you would turn out to be a sailor with "little Rich's" in every port! Even though the Marquette probably makes a better wine, the fact that it breaks bud ~10 days earlier makes it a poor choice for my cold drainage location. I will probably pick up a few more Noiret next year to fill in some spots. Guess we are staying put once I retire. LOL

They are looking great there. One thing I would do is to remove secondary shoots and thus some clusters. With your volcanic soil and low fertility/water, you don't want too many clusters. Here is a picture of one of yours showing a couple circled secondaries. You will notice they look like they are mostly grape cluster. They never amount to much but will take the energy out of areas you want to grow.

Secondaries.jpg

Thanks Rich, have not had any secondary clusters to remove before this year! We have had so much rain have not even really had to water the entire month of May. Looks like we are returning to normal though now with plenty of heat, and lots of clear blue sky.

Those pictures are looking a lot different from what I saw a few years ago - you must have expanded beyond the fence! :h

Turned off the water here - having lots of monsoonal moisture and no need for anything else in this part of "the range."

Dave

LOL Yea, those are all from the front row of vines. They seem to be doing great and trunks are getting bigger and bigger with each passing year. No idea how much I will get this year but it sure is exciting to see them loaded up for a change after the last two years with late killing frost.

Now we just have to pray that the hail that comes each year along with monsoonal moisture stays pea size or less. The fun of farming in the Rockies!

Maybe you could consider getting some of the netting that helps protect against birds, insects and hail. It is a heavier material and can remain attached to the wires all year if you don't mind the look of it in the off season.

It might very well deflect it but then when its on it makes it a PITA to try and work the vines all Summer long. Today I came home for lunch and it clouded up and rumbled like it was already July and monsoon season. By the time I got back to work which is about 8 min away and 800ft change in elevation it was pouring cats and dogs and had pea sized hail. Not a drop fell down here in the "Banana Belt" where I live..... :)

Things are moving along nicely. I trimmed laterals and opened up the canopy a bit today to get more airflow. No disease pressure. No spray program. Nothing but the vine, the sun and the water coming together to produce something special. :hug

IMG_0466.jpg

Latest pics from the wine garden. Talk about two different varietals and ripening times especially this year. The Marquette looks almost ready to go and the Corot Noir and Noiret look to be a month or more behind. Hope to let the Marquette hang for as long as possible so the rest can try and catch up!

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Mike,

Your grapes look great! I miss not having my grapes to work with. I was able to harvest a few St Croix grapes the year after the flood, which did result in 7 bottles of wine of which only 4 remain. I have room for 12 vines,but am not sure with the neighbors in town whether it is worth trying. You know with spraying and all.
If you ever have an extra bottle just laying around and Don't know what to do with it, I would love to try your wine someone.

BOB

Hey Bob,

Good to hear from you! I have had back to back poor harvest the last two years (due to late frost) so I am due for a decent one! Hoping for 6-12 gallons of finished wine. These grapes are turning out kind of like a Syrah with a lot of rocks funk to it since they are grown in volcanic basalt rock. I will definitely have to get your coordinates and send you a bottle soon!

Things are moving along nicely. I trimmed laterals and opened up the canopy a bit today to get more airflow. No disease pressure. No spray program. Nothing but the vine, the sun and the water coming together to produce something special. :hug

That's my plan - only thing we're adding is a little smoke. Would be nice if that kept the yellow jackets away!

Latest posts

Back