Chard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Destemmed and crushed and then pressed the Chardonnay today as they came in yesterday. Never really saw Chard grapes before and was surprised at the size of the actual grapes. Not much bigger then the Champagne grapes they sometimes ell in the grocery stores. They tasted great! Brix was 21.5, Ph was 3.58 and TA was .65 which I adjusted up to .75 and brought the Ph down to 3.46. Got to finally break in the Crusher and press and the ph meter all at once. All went well but I didnt take many pics as I was under a severe time restraint with family over from NC and lots of errands to run. Barely had time to get this in not to mention I have never used any of this equipment so eachwas a learning curve.
20100918_225702_Picture_004.jpg

I got the grapes from a local wine supply store called Maltose Express which is actually pretty famous as the owners have made a few books on Beer making that sell in just about every supply store on Earth. Clone Brews and Beer Captured. And of coarse I got the crusher/destemmer and press from George!

Grown local or shipped all the way from CA?

Are you going to do an MLF? Its funny on our winery road trip this Summer, no one in CA is doing MLF anymore, but all the wineries in WA were still doing MLF and cranking out the buttery flavored chard.

I can't wait to follow your Chardonnay progress Wade. How exciting for you! That is so cool!
smiley14.gif

Im not taking this years batch through MLF nor will it get oaked. Im not a bog fan of oaked whites but will do MLF on next years batch of Chard, this year Im looking for a fruity Chard. In the next week or 2 Ill get my Petite Syrah grapes and that will go through MLF and get oaked.

Okay, my first thought when I saw the title was "he's making wine out of Swiss Chard? That's unusual...."
smiley36.gif
Grapes look good. How many pounds is that?

Have fun working with all the stuff Wade. Did you wash the grapes or something? I see water spots all over the C/D. You are adventurous- I would have just used those grapes with the numbers you had- pretty darned good.

I washed the crusher destemmer first as I havent used it yet and it was in my furnace room where some soot gets in there right around the furnace. Thats getting replaced probably in the next few months when I put an addition on to the back of the house and while pouring the footings Ill have them pour me a crush pad! I had all the stuff and felt like playing a bit but didnt want to go to far. When i checked the numbers I really wanted to leave them but also really needed the practice using the PH meter!
3 lugs was 108 lbs Tony which yielded 6.75 gallons pre fermentation so hopfuly when all is said and done I should be at 6.

Looking good buddy..Need more picturs though..you did remember that we like lots of pictures didint you
smiley4.gif

I will take another pic tomorrow of it in primary. Its sizzling away nicely with Cotes Des Blanc in my wine cellar where its 66*. I had it at 75* while the yeast starter was getting going and for about 3 hours after I addd it to get it going good first.

Wade said:
In the next week or 2 Ill get my Petite Syrah grapes and that will go through MLF and get oaked.

I think Petite Syrah is about my favorite wine. I am religated to commercial McMannis and Bogle until I get to make my own. Please start a topic on your PS adventure, as I am very interested in making it next year.

Great news that your new equipment has worked out so well. Congrats on a fine purchase; it all should give you years of great service.

Wade, a question - Can your crusher be adjusted to only destem but not crush?

Gots to rack my Chard tomorrow as it went dry already! .994 in 4 days in 66* temps with Cotes Des Blanc! Thats a record for me and I really didnt want it to ferment so fast, hopefully it retained the fruitiness I was looking for.

Its not what I was expecting at all. Usually Cotes Des Blanc is hard or just takes time to get going and just sits there sizzling nice and easy. Maybe I just found the thing that Cotes Des Blanc likes better. I usually dont use CDB in cool ferments as Ive been afraid it would stop so usually use Premier Cuvee or Champagne but strayed and experimented this time, not what I wanted to happen but hopefully it retained the fruitiness that I wanted.

Back