champaign yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was the temperature of the water, and what is the temperature in the room?

From this side of the keyboard, it appears you have either a problem with your rehydrating process, or a problem with the yeast. Unless your temperature is too hot/cold, it may be the yeast. Where are you buying from? You might try buying from a different source.

I buy yeast from my LHBS, so I know I'm getting good yeast as I know the storage conditions and that the yeast is not old. When buying online, there are no guarantees.

I got some yeast from LHBS as you suggested, where is it coming from do you know? How long is there shipping?

I would never add yeast to water that was 120 degrees, I meant our hot water tank was set to 120, I usually let it cool down to 100 - 105. and yes I do have a thermometer.

I keep posting a reply but it isn't here. I would never add yeast to water that was 120 degrees, I was only stating a fact that our hot water heater is set to 120, the water was between 100 and 105 when i added the yeast to it. The room temp is 72, sorry for that.

Yeah I got it from amazon and the water is 120 degrees. I'm starting to think it's amazon, but I did get yeast there when I started this last July but that yeast has proven to be no good either. I started out with 10 packs of the red star yeast which now is useless. I'll try getting it from somewhere else, because I don't have an answer as to what could be happening.
I avoid buying anything but junk from Amazon. There are waaaay too many comments about fake stuff, outdated stuff, etc. There are several major companies who will no longer sell their products on Amazon because of that.

I think everyone may be on the wrong track with yeast issues. What is the SG of the juice? If too high, no amount of yeast will work. I rarely have my yeast foaming when rehydrated but it works. EC1118 will work even the oldest EC1118 from Amazon. If the SG is much over 1.120, you will have to get it down with water to a level for the yeast to begin working.

I avoid buying anything but junk from Amazon. There are waaaay too many comments about fake stuff, outdated stuff, etc. There are several major companies who will no longer sell their products on Amazon because of that.
It depends on who the seller is -- when buying from a reputable business via Amazon, I have had good results.

Some years back I purchased a Samsung tablet for my wife -- when it arrived it wouldn't charge. I called Samsung and found out it was a fake. I contacted Amazon and they fully refunded my money and gave me a RMA. But no one at Amazon cared that fakes were being sold through them. Caution is certainly required.

Yeah I got it from amazon and the water is 120 degrees.
We just found your problem. 120 degrees is way TO HOT for wine yeast. Temps that high will critically injure all and kill some of the yeast cells. Back your proofing water temp to around 90 degrees with a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and try again.

I think everyone may be on the wrong track with yeast issues. What is the SG of the juice? If too high, no amount of yeast will work. I rarely have my yeast foaming when rehydrated but it works. EC1118 will work even the oldest EC1118 from Amazon. If the SG is much over 1.120, you will have to get it down with water to a level for the yeast to begin working.
If he is using store bought juice and not adding any sugar, I don't think his SG is to high. Most store bought juice I have worked with is in the 1.06ish range (starting SG).

We just found your problem. 120 degrees is way TO HOT for wine yeast. Temps that high will critically injure all and kill some of the yeast cells. Back your proofing water temp to around 90 degrees with a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and try again.
As I stated above I would never add yeast to water that is 120 degree, thats the temp of our water heater. I add the yeast to water that is 100 to 105

Back