Cellarmasters 41st

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to all. I got a Bronze for my Amarone and HM for my Montepulciano. I was kind of bummed in general so I popped a bottle of the Montepulciano to see what was wrong and it's actually a tad bit gassy. I feel this is the toughest best of the competitions. Being judged against folks that have access to the most excellent of fresh produce and a multitude of qualified judges makes me respect this competition. @ibglowin did you enter wine from kit or grapes? I imagine your wine from grapes isn't quite ready yet.

I sent in 3 of the last (red) kit wines I made so they were all tweaked and had lots of barrel time plus some had extra oak added in the carboy in bulk aging. They are all 2-3 years old now as well which goes to show you how long these wines will last if care is taken along the way, you use a good closure and your storage conditions are good.

My 2011's wines from fresh grapes via FVW's in Dallas are really starting to show well now. I am starting to make good notes each time I open a bottle as to its readiness. Some still need a little more time, others are now showing extremely well. I may send one in in the next few months just to test and get a bench mark on it.

Is there a way to find out how many entries there were? If the PDF results download had them all listed then I truly suck at this so far. They only listed 12 entries that did not medal and I had 3 of those very precious spots to myself and one honorable mention. I thought this contest had 1000's of entries but only estimate about 300 listed in the results pdf. I entered to get and learn from the judging sheets but I'm thinking this is going to be brutal. My 4 wines were all started within the first 6 months of me starting winemaking but if all of them were in the bottom 3 or 4 % then I need a lot more experience and practice.

Congratulations to all the members who medaled this year!
Mike

They did extend the window for shipping/entering wine IIRC so maybe they had a down year entry wise. This is the first year for me entering wines into comp and I have been making wine for almost 6 years now. My wines from the first year were nothing in comparison to wines made today. You just know and have a better feel for things with more experience. Do not be down but try and learn from what they say. And don't forget the bottom line, if you like it and it taste good to you that is really all that matters!

Is there a way to find out how many entries there were? If the PDF results download had them all listed then I truly suck at this so far. They only listed 12 entries that did not medal and I had 3 of those very precious spots to myself and one honorable mention. I thought this contest had 1000's of entries but only estimate about 300 listed in the results pdf. I entered to get and learn from the judging sheets but I'm thinking this is going to be brutal. My 4 wines were all started within the first 6 months of me starting winemaking but if all of them were in the bottom 3 or 4 % then I need a lot more experience and practice.

Congratulations to all the members who medaled this year!
Mike

Don't get depressed over HM. This is a difficult competition. My first year I didn't medal either but did get HM and was proud of it. I did better each year till this year.

celllarmasters

HERE is how I see it ,,FIRST I entered a strawberry that was made from fruit, just to see, then I entered a cranberry Melbec to see the judging differences, then I sent my now famous almond wine for sentimental reasons and the fourth one I can't even recall, anyway two bronze and two hm.
It's all subjective, nothing more every contest you enter there is only one contestant score that matters and that's yours, for better or worst you keep your spirit up and get your process down. THIS was a contest that I didn't enter my best but wanted to see how the others in my cellar were doing from a strangers point of view, sometimes it's just not about weather you win, place or show , but what feed back you get OR NOT!...........WHAT DO YOU THINK????

Wow, Still waiting on "hardware" and judges tasting notes from these guys. 12 weeks post competition.

ibglowin, I received my notes yesterday, yours and everyone else's are probably on the way.
Read mine once and was pissed.
Read them a second time and thought they're only being objective so there must be some truth in there.
Read them the third time and started planning and figuring out how I'm going to fix the flaws.
Try not to waste an opportunity!
Mike

celllarmasters

got mine today findings are some what all over the place but a contest is a contest no matter the results' won't do this one again. Don't understand the standards there tasting to ,oh well.:d

Last edited:
I wish the notes were more consistent between judges. Some have scores but zero notes, some have really good notes and scores and them some are in between.

ibglowin, I received my notes yesterday, yours and everyone else's are probably on the way.
Read mine once and was pissed.
Read them a second time and thought they're only being objective so there must be some truth in there.
Read them the third time and started planning and figuring out how I'm going to fix the flaws.
Try not to waste an opportunity!
Mike

Got my hardware today! These were probably the best notes so far of my limited competitions. The scores for one wine were all over the place (still). One guy gave it a 12 (no medal basically lowest score almost) then another judge gave the same wine a 19 (Gold medal almost perfect score). Luckily that wine had two high scores to pull up the low score so it still received a silver medal. Yet this wine won nothing at the KC Cellarmasters!

IMG_0210.jpg

A bit off toptic but what's generally an 'easy' contest to win a medal? I realize a medal wouldn't mean anything if they handed them out to everyone, I'm just looking for some encouragement.

Latest posts

Back