Cellar Craft Cellar Craft 2011 LR Marsanne-Viognier-Roussanne

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes sense...didn't even think about the flash part. Looks cool nevertheless!

The color is off a bit due to the flash. My winery has no natural light so its pretty dark in there and I need flash to get a decent pic. The wine after fining is a very normal pale (straw) yellow color.

Our friends recently brought a Roussanne over and I LOVED it. I don't normally drink whites. I found the taste of it quite intriguing; enough to at least search for a kit and this is what came up. I see this is a blend; I have never had marsanne before but the other two varietal wines yes and I liked them both.

So do you feel that you got the value of the kit in your resulting product? (even though you feel it has time to sit some more?) Also, love the labels...Did you create them or add to a pre-existing template! Great!!! (I need to move on labels for my other wines too)

Last edited:
Our friends recently brought a Roussanne over and I LOVED it. I don't normally drink whites. I found the taste of it quite intriguing; enough to at least search for a kit and this is what came up. I see this is a blend; I have never had marsanne before but the other two varietal wines yes and I liked them both.

Rousanne is the Kelly Rowland of Forgotten Grapes after all (to contrast with Michelle Williams (Marsanne) and Beyonce (Viognier))...

This was a limited release from last year so it may not be available since it was in limited production but if you find one it is definitely not an old kit or expired for sure. Some LHBS may still have one lying around, you never know.

As for the quality of the kit, yes, this kit is exactly what I expected from a Cellar Craft Limited Release kit. I bought a case of this same blend from a winery in WA state last year and I think I may like this even more as its a different blend (ratio) of the three grape varietals. This is going to be a killer wine to pair with food.

As for labels, I have been using these guys for quite some time and while they are not cheap I like them enough to keep using them. The labels are waterproof and will peel off easily when you want to re use the bottle for the next batch.

After I posted I went and ordered this kit; just couldn't help myself......I found a place with just 2 left in stock; it's on it's way.....I saw that blend ratio was a little different than perhaps some commercially made similar blends and the kits original (last year's) blend ratio. I am glad to hear you are totally happy with it and happier with it than some other purhcases you made! Can't Wait.

Thank you for posting your experience with this kit. I rec'd mine and although I am highly distracted here on Spring Break I swear I did not see what the OG should have been when reconstituting. I was able to refer back to you thread here and see that you and I had comparable readings. My OG was 1.091.

I switched out the yeast and made a starter with the D47 yeast as Pastuer White was not in inventory at local shop (this was second choice). It is fermenting vigorously now in the upper 70s range with a brew belt on it. After researching similar wines of this type although their blend ratios were different, I also decided to add 1/2 c of french oak during primary fermentation.

Thank you for posting your experience with this kit. I rec'd mine and although I am highly distracted here on Spring Break I swear I did not see what the OG should have been when reconstituting. I was able to refer back to you thread here and see that you and I had comparable readings. My OG was 1.091.

I switched out the yeast and made a starter with the D47 yeast as Pastuer White was not in inventory at local shop (this was second choice). It is fermenting vigorously now in the upper 70s range with a brew belt on it. After researching similar wines of this type although their blend ratios were different, I also decided to add 1/2 c of french oak during primary fermentation.

That D47 can handle a much lower fermentation temperature of 58 to 69F. The slower that particular white kit ferments, the fruitier the results are likely to be. I would take off the brew belt and let the temperature drop very slowly on its own to as low as it wants to go, as long as it stays about 58F.

I use D47 a lot and at the lower temperatures; you won't be disappointed.

Robie, thanks for the input on the yeast. My little book doesn't go into too much detail on the yeast temps and defining certain terms related to yeast action and such. I will do that right now.....

Yes, this was a fabulous offering and I am surprised there were still some floating around out there.

Made one last spring, which took a silver in November (and was a "Russian Judge" away from a gold,) made another I bottled last June (and have not touched; and are still sitting on one in inventory. These first two were before I began experimenting with better yeasts, so I can only imagine what the last one will bring.

I wish they would add it to the permanent lineup.

Mine is now right at 7mo old. Had the first split last month. Fantastic! This is going to be killer at 9 mo I think........ :hug

UPDATE: This is FANTASTIC stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had the first full bottle tonight. My local grocery store Smith's (owned by Kroger) had Copper River Salmon on sale this week for $9.98lb. That is an incredible deal. This CS Salmon sells for $30lb at Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck...) We grilled the Salmon with just some lemon and then some Tone's Rosemary Garlic seasoning sprinkled on it. The Salmon was served as a Ceasar Salmon Salad with some sourdough baguette on the side.

In short this wine is KILLER. The pairing was to die for. The wine is complex, has a wonderful aroma of peach, apricot and citrus. The Marsanne and Rousanne both bring an amazing mouthfeel that is hard to describe. This wine is dry, no flavour reserve pack and no oak.

This was a CC Limited reserve kit that was a full 18L of juice so not much water needed to be added.

This wine is 100% commercial quality all the way.

I will be very proud to serve this as one of my white wines at our daughters wedding this August. It is simply wonderful.

Salud!

Mike, I have enjoyed reading this adventure from beginning to end. I admire your patience in waiting for the wine. Someday I may develop that ability. BTW, the meal sounds really great, too. Great job!

Wonderful Kit. On my List to Purchase Again!

I concur! Thanks for posting your experience here. However, I can't say that mine even made it this far....My mother (another wine-o) visited for a month this summer and we drank through most of the kits I made. She said she felt bad about it - but it didn't seem to slow her down!

This kit was/is superior. I have a few bottles left....Waiting for next year! I had a chance to compare a bottle last week to a Three Horse Vineyard's 2011 "Vivacious" $16 at the winery (a viogier and roussanne blend - can I spell?) and in my opinion the CC LE marsanne, rousanne, viognier blend was better. Three Horse Vineyard is an organic vineyard located in Eagle, Idaho and sells through locally at stores, restaurants and some of the Costco's around the PacNW too. I don't get out too much, so I don't know how wide they distribute. fyi..

Soooooo sad......

You should have made her drink Yellow Tail!!! :)

I will be rationing out this guy to the very end. I want to have some around for 2-3 years if possible to see how it matures in the bottle.

I am making it a done deal to ALWAYS pick up the CC Limited Release white wines forever more!

I want to purchase this kit again, but am still new and unfamiliar as to the timing and release of Limited Edition/Release/Special kits like this. When do you think I need to keep my eyes open to ensure that I can purchase again This Fall 2012 or Early 2013? What is the timing usually? (sorry if this kind of dumb question!)

Most of limited release kits for all the kit makers come out in the March-April time frame. Some will have specialty ports that come out in the Fall so they can be ready for the Holidays.

One of our sponsors (Finevinewines) still has the 2012 LR white trio from Cellar Craft available. Whites don't seem to sell out as fast as the red LR's but they are equally fantastic. I bought one but have not pitched the yeast yet. This Fall more than likely for me.

... the timing and release of Limited Edition/Release/Special kits like this.... What is the timing usually? (sorry if this kind of dumb question!)
Not a dumb question at all. Most wine kit manufacturers announce their special offerings in the Sept / Oct timeframe, with one kit scheduled for release starting in December and going through either March or April, depending on manufacturer.

In the case of Cellar Craft, in years past they make an announcement in early October, and the kits start being produced, one per month, in December.

On a similar note, I just got the word yesterday from Vineco International about their limited editions (for the 2013 KenRidge Showcase Collection kits), and once I make the announcement to our retailers, I can follow up and make a post to this forum.

Hope that helps.

One of our sponsors (Finevinewines) still has the 2012 LR white trio from Cellar Craft available. Whites don't seem to sell out as fast as the red LR's but they are equally fantastic. I bought one but have not pitched the yeast yet. This Fall more than likely for me.
I just bought this one from Finevinewines also. It will be the first non Winexpert white wine I will make. I made Winexpert's LE Sauvignon Blanc-Semillon this year and really like what semillon's mouthfeel and honey note does for S. Blanc. I am not sure what Chardonnay does to the mix on Cellarcraft's LR.

Opened a bottle of this last night with some salmon. This is the most complex white wine ever. Its one of the best food wines I have tasted to date. Down to about 9 bottles and it just keeps getting better and better.

If you like salmon there is nothing better than the Costco canned (yes I said canned) Wild Alaskan Salmon. Its like $10 for six cans. Definitely a giant step up from a can of Tuna in taste and quality.

costco-pink-salmon.jpg

For a quick (but amazing) midweek dinner open a couple of cans and then add about a half bottle of Litehouse Jalapeno Ranch Dressing,

0007766102913_180X180.jpg

Add some chopped onion and capers to taste and then serve it on a nice loaf of crusty Sourdough Baguette.

Delish! :hug

The Salmon recipe sounds fantastic. I'll have to make myself one of these sandwiches. Sadly I did not pick up the Marsanne Viognier Roussanne limited edition in 2011. In hindsight I should have.

Latest posts

Back