RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabeachbear

Reaction score
Just thought I pass on an experience. This was my first kit I made back in 2011.

I had gotten a barrel, but could only leave it in for 6 weeks as barrel was new.

I saved 4 bottles to try at 4 years, 5 years, 10 years and 15 years.

Had the 5 year last night, and its better than it was any other time I had had it. Oak was mellowing, fruit forwardness mellowing.

I think most people wouldn't think ageing a kit wine is a good idea, but got to tell you, wish I could have waited the entire 5 years.

Curious what others have seen and how long you've been able to age the wine?

I have 1 bottle left from a 3 year old batch. I'm going to open it in a couple months, along side another that will be approaching 18 months. I'm anxious to see the difference. It is a fantastic wine kit.

Mine is in secondary fermentation right now, so I am glad to hear it ages well. Just out of curiosity, mine came with 2 packets of potassium sorbate. If your did also, did you add them both?

Wade

Mine is in secondary fermentation right now, so I am glad to hear it ages well. Just out of curiosity, mine came with 2 packets of potassium sorbate. If your did also, did you add them both?

Wade

I didn't use the sorbate. Never do, unless I'm sweetening.

Mine has only lasted 6 months after bottling we liked it so much...only 3 left, so I'll try to hide them. Great kit and definitely doing it again but want to try many others as well.

You guys didn't use either packet of sorbate? What exactly does the sorbate do, and why would/should it be left out? Is there something else that would have to be supplemented in its place?

Thank you,
Wade

You guys didn't use either packet of sorbate? What exactly does the sorbate do, and why would/should it be left out? Is there something else that would have to be supplemented in its place?

Thank you,
Wade

Sorbate is a stabilizer that is most often used to prevent refermentation during backsweetening.

Mine is exactly 18 months today. Have 12 bottles left so limping along with them. Last one I tried was 1 month ago. It was pretty good. This wine was really good at bottling, then I tried one at the 5 month mark and it was terrible. At the 9 month mark it started to come around some and at 12 months, was much better. I am hoping it continues to improve as I will hold onto some until at least 5 yrs.
Currently have a RJS OVZ that is 2 1/2 yrs. old. Last one I tried was at 2 yr. mark and it was very good.
Yes, I do believe with these higher end reds age improves them.

Same here on the sorbate, never use it on the dry reds.

I have 2 bottles left from a 2013 batch. Personally, I think it has hit it's peak. The last bottle I opened in December last year, wasn't much better than 6 or 8 months before. Don't misunderstand, it was very good, but about the same as the last.

I have 2 bottles left from a 2013 batch. Personally, I think it has hit it's peak. The last bottle I opened in December last year, wasn't much better than 6 or 8 months before. Don't misunderstand, it was very good, but about the same as the last.

Like I had said, at 5 years, I'm amazed it was still very good. Unfortunately, not sure the thread will be here at the 10 year test, let alone the 15!:ft

I just racked this kit out of secondary, into clearing/stabalizing, and I tried a little bit of it. It was extremely fruity, and I made sure the SG was at 1.000 before racking. Is this normal, and will that fruitiness calm down over time?

Cheers!
Wade

I just racked this kit out of secondary, into clearing/stabalizing, and I tried a little bit of it. It was extremely fruity, and I made sure the SG was at 1.000 before racking. Is this normal, and will that fruitiness calm down over time?

Cheers!
Wade

Some may fade over time. But, it's likely that it will always be a bit sweet. At 1.000, you're looking at an "off-dry" wine.

Did you add any chems yet?

Cheers!
Wade

I've done this kit twice (once with EC-1118 and once with BM4X4). It got down to 0.994 with 1118 and 0.996 with the BM4X4. Both times though, it was noticeably fruity early on. That definitely fades by about the 18 month mark. You might have stabilized a little early, so some of that fruit may linger on, due to a small amount of residual sugar.

I added the k-meta, but skipped the potassium sorbate. Man, I wish the instructions would have specified, a lower SG. It said to proceed when the SG is 1.000 or lower. I suppose there is nothing I can do at this point, except wait and hope?

Wade

Sipping the sorbate is good. Your gravity will continue to fall since you didn't kill it with the sorbate. You should be fine.

Keep us posted. That amount of Sulfite should be enough to shut down fermentation pretty quick. Sorbate doesn't kill anything, it stops yeast etc. from reproducing/multiplying thus with no new yeasties being made fermentation comes to halt as well.

Latest posts

Back