Cellar Craft CC Showcase Yakima Valley Merlot (with grape pack)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Picked this guy up a few weeks ago when it was on sale. Supposedly a Gold Medal Winner and says it on the box to boot!

20091127_130057_DSC02336.jpg

This is the final kit on my quest for making 10 kits by the end of the year and really since July so I have been busy trying to get my reds going so they will start to be ready by late next Summer for my first kits.

SG was 1.09 before grape pack and then 1.10 after addition and lots of stirring to dissolve as much of the sugary grape goo.

This guy started slow and really didn't show much sign of life for a full 24 hours but took off strong after that!

20091127_130430_DSC02337.jpg

The flash washes out the color so here is one with some natural light.

20091127_130530_DSC02339.jpg

Been punching the grape pack down 2-3 times a day and using my spoon to squeeze it against the side to strain out the most solids I can while its fermenting away.

Started to slow down to a gentle fizz after 3-4 days so have now snapped the lid and added an airlock and will keep punching the grape pack down 2 times a day for the next few days before transferring to glass after about a week.

20091127_131249_DSC02341.jpg

This guy was only a few months old according to the lot number but there was NO enzyme pack in this guy so we will see if any white film develops down the road.

Already smelling pretty darn good!

Looks terrific. I got a hold of one of the few CC Red Mountain Merlots and if yours is even close - it'll be good. I have yet to notice the white film on any of my CC kits, I almost feel left out, so don't be surprised if you get lucky as well.
VC

DOM was late July on this kit. It had the usual de-branded pack of SuperKleer and the extra pack of Chitosan.

My CC Showcase OVZ with Enzyme Pack only came with the regular package of SuperKleer, no extra Chitosan so looks like another change.

My OVZ had the enzyme pack and no extra chitosan. I guess they think the enzyme will aid in clearing.

Mike, great way to round off your year!!! This looks great already!!!!
smiley4.gif

Mike, what did you use to house your grape pack? It looks like an old sweater! =)

Joan they come with a bag to put the grape pack in. I never bother because for me its easier just to pour the pack into the must and squeeze out the skins later.
VC

CC comes with a nice cheesecloth bag that the grape pack is poured into. I think it works very well for holding all the grapes in a convenient container and sure makes removal a snap vs floating free. With the bag you can wring the heck out of the grapes as well to get as much of the solids into the bucket at then end of primary.

Looks Good
smiley20.gif

I like the Grape Skin Kits!

I leave them in the Prim. for 2 weeks so I get more contact with the skin.

I made a Showcase Merlot a couple of years ago and you will not be disappointed. It is fantastic.

moto-girl said:
I made a Showcase Merlot a couple of years ago and you will not be disappointed. It is fantastic.

this is good to know ... I have it bulk aging right now
smiley2.gif

I haven't yet been disappointed by a CC grapepack kit. I keep trying them, and they are all great. I do need to try the RMC again to see how its aging.

I bought this early on. I don't think you will be unhappy with your purchase. The CC Showcase kits usually do not disappoint. While this one turned out OK for me it was not one of my top favorites.

Latest posts

Back