Catawba, sugar addition, and refermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of catawba. I fermented the pressed must, not on the skins for any length of time at all, so I have a white, not a blush wine. OG 1.070, pH 2.93. Kmeta at pressing. Used 71B around 9/30/2013 and fermented to 0.995.

I guess I got concerned about the final ABV, so I did a sort of sloppy rack last week and added 16 ounces of sugar, thinking since it wasn't stabilized it would referment and I could bring the final ABV up to 10.9% or so to better protect the wine. Of course, now it is not showing any sign of fermentation. It is cloudy as [bleep] now and just sitting there. I have it in the warm central pantry in the house but nothing.

The thing is, with that amount of sugar it tastes excellent because the sugar nicely balances that low pH. If this wine didn't referment I would be fine with the taste just as it is right now, as long as it clears.

I need a little advice or reassurance here. Should I just wait it out?

All advice welcome.

If it's cloudy, it makes me think it's working slowly. Check your gravity over a few days, as long as it keeps dropping, it's working.

Check your SG now and see where it is at after adding the sugar. Leave it a few days, remeasure and see if it moves. If not you could either add some yeast to get it going (as a starter) or else add k-meta now and see if that helps it clear. If you are certain it doesn't drop sugar anymore later on and clears, I would be sure the S02 level is up, add sorbate and bottle it (after it is clear). Since you like it now, if it ferments more now, add that same amount of sugar later after stabilizing with the k-meta and sorbate and enjoy it as an off dry or semi-sweet. Catawba does well with some residual sugar to balance the acid as you say.

After no movement for a week, I made a little starter with 1118 and it is going now.
Next time I need to boost the ABV I'll use a little Everclear.

Stressbaby said:
After no movement for a week, I made a little starter with 1118 and it is going now. Next time I need to boost the ABV I'll use a little Everclear.

Add sugar at the beginning to get your SG up to 1.085 to 1.090.

Latest posts

Back