Carrying some empty bottles to Florida

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I don't have many wine bottles in Florida so I am carrying 60 down there. I have rinsed them with bleach water so that my wife will not complain that her car smells like a winery (I hope).

Now, my issue is, will a fine for having 60 open containers in the car be 60 times higher than one open containers.

I will need some of you guys to vouch for me that I did not drink them dry before I hit the road tomorrow morning.

Ok?:a1

As far as i know you cant get in trouble for air in a bottle

be sure you rinse them well as bleach and wine dont mix

cheers

Actually, in my younger years, I did get in trouble. I had just mowed the lawn, was hot and tired and on my way into town with a cold beer. This highway patrol lady pulls me over for for an expired tag, I had just gotten the sticker but not put it on, and she spots the beer bottle under the seat. Busted.

If you are really worried about it, contact the local authorities where you are going to be driving. Otherwise, put em in cases, throw some tape on them, or don't worry about it. Arne.

You only get a ticket (well, in NM will be arrest) when you have open alcohol inside your vehicle, not for empty bottles...

Put them in wine boxes and tape shut as said. Write empty bottles on the box, and when you pack, don't let that part show in the car. Also bring a couple wine related toos with you and pack them alonside or on top of the boxes of bottles. If stopped, just tell them you make wine at 2 locations and are bringing empty bottles from point A to point B. Should be no problem, but you always get some trying to be a real PITA.

No room in the trunk. Where they would be out of sight?

I get those wine cartons from the liquor stores to store my empties. Stores always have them available for those who buy wine by the cases. They make good moving boxes as well. Just make sure they are sturdy, have the dividers and will fit your taller bottles.

BTW: I'd like a bottle of French made Chablis for tasting purposes. I'd be happy to trade a couple of cases of clean unlabeled empty bottles for a bottle.

I know there are laws against driving while intoxicated with alcohol, but as far as I know there is no law against transporting empty bottles. How in the hell would you take your bottles to be recycled?

Look, if you have cases of clean empty bottles in boxes and you haven't been drinking what is there to be worried about?

Now, maybe there is the ever so slight risk that you will have a you know what of a police officer that uses the bottles as suspicion of drinking and makes you do an alcohol test. But really, can they arrest you, or give you a ticket for having clean empty bottles? Even dirty empty bottles may cause suspicion of driving under the influence, but it is the latter that is against the law, not the bottles.

Back