Carbuoy still bubbling at Sp.gr of 0.995

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppatel

Junior
Reaction score
I am making Cab Sav from sterile juice. The Sp. gr now is 0.995, but there are still minute bubbles that I can see in the carbuoy. Is this just CO2 coming out or is the yeast still working? Can I go ahead & stabilize & rack this wine, or should I wait until it has stopped bubbling?:a1

Welcome to the forum. If you get the same sg reading on three different days you are good to go. Stabilize and degas. What is your temp? You want to keep it up around 70-75*.

If you are still in the primary rack then wait till it goes dry .990. The juice should go down to .990 and stop.

The temp is 20 Celcius (around 70 F ). I will wait until a day or two & keep measuring the Sp. gr.
Another question- I want to add an oak extract to this wine. When should I do it?

Once my musts reach 1.000 I'll snap a lid on w/airlock and rack in 2-3 days. Use your hydromete, that's the only way to be sure if it's thru fermenting.

You may add oak after it has been cleared. I have never used "oak extract" but would imagine that the clearing may remove some of the oak taste.

Since this is not a kit instead of stabilizing Id do MLF on it possibly. Id do Malic acid test on it and see if it should be done as youll get a much better product 90% of the time by doing it.

I was thinking that it might be a natural mlf occuring already.

You mention bubbles. What do they look like? If you see a ring of tiny bubbles at the neck of the carboy and tiny bubbles rising up the sides, it might be a naturally occuring mlf. The bacteria are in the air and can begin on their own.

I would keep an eye on the sg and see if it moves. If not and the bubbles keep up, it very well could be a naturally occuring mlf.

Latest posts

Back