Carboy aging with solid bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejiang

Reaction score
I am thinking of put a solid bung in the carboy after 3 month of aging. My room temperature swings between 19 -22 degree. Would the cause my carboy to explod?

EJ, I would use a stopper with an airlock. In addition to temperature, changes in barometric pressure could cause the solid stopper to pop out when you are not around. I don't think there is a major potential for "exploding" the carboy, but why take the chance?

EJ, I would use a stopper with an airlock. In addition to temperature, changes in barometric pressure could cause the solid stopper to pop out when you are not around. I don't think there is a major potential for "exploding" the carboy, but why take the chance?

I like everything that was said ^ and i would personally use a S shaped airlock to see if you have a proper seal.

see link for further details
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/vodka-balance-air-locks-34239/

what rocky said. but also, out of curiosity, why would you want to put a solid bung in it anyways? are you thinking there is a benefit to that?

i would imagine using a solid bung would do a couple of things for you, 1) you wouldn't have to keep up with an airlock going dry, 2) it would pretty much ensure nothing is getting into the wine basically like bottle aging just on a larger scale. ive kicked this around as well but as rocky said i wouldnt be happy when i check on my wine and find the bung laying on the floor and 500lbs fruit flies laying around lol

I use solid stoppers. I have done SO2 testing that shows SO2 levels stay way up with a solid stopper over an airlock. That said use them with CAUTION. I only use them when the temps are falling and or stabilized (Fall, Winter mostly) , never when temps are rising as you will pop a stopper easily (wine on the ceiling) unless you relieve the pressure build up from the expansion of alcohol as the temp rises.

Caveot Emptor!

if using a solid bung would it be necessary to top up as much? you wouldn't have the O2 getting in there to oxidize, and yes that's me hijacking a thread :)

Use of a solid stopper would have no effect on topping up. Topping up is strictly based on how much wine you lose when racking and is also dependent on the skill of the winemaker and of course on the amount of gross lees and fines that drop out along the way.

right but you also top up to reduce surface area for oxygen to start oxidizing wine correct?

Yes but the sold stopper won't effect how much you have to top up. Your still going to have to top up to within 3 inches or so from the top regardless if you use an airlock or solid stopper. It will not effect evaporation rates if thats what your thinking.

im thinking it would reduce the O2 levels down enough to make it safe to not have to top up so much, but from what i am reading i am wrong :(

Whatever headspace you have will be full of O2 unless you flush it out with inert gas and then stick a bung in it. I do that for short term periods but for long term bulk aging you have to top off to the recommended levels.

i was thinking of that as well giving it a shot of CO2 every few weeks to keep the O2 levels down

Back