Can you over degass

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omerta

Reaction score
The bubbles just wont stop....
I used the whip on the drill. Then I did it by hand and got more bubbles than with the drill. (Side to side beating motion).

How do I get the gas out without getting O2 in?

How long is too long?

When using a drill I dont think you can over degas. I believe you will need to do this over 2 days hitting this a few times a day. You will notice a difference between the size of the bubbles though. Little 1's are C02.

Wade: Thanks for the quick response.

I beat the piss out of it for a lot longer than recommended in the WE directions. Than finished off the directions (isinglass and top off).

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Sure hope I didnt F this up.

I'll be picking up a break bleeding setup. That seems to be the way to know for sure... also doesnt add unwanted 02.

Using a drill maybe not. BUTT, I remember Joeswine telling us at our wine clubwhen he started using a vac and he sucked everything out including all the flavor. Of course not anymore
smiley36.gif
.We all learn from our mistakes.

It now a waiting game.
How do you know if all the gas is gone?

Leave it alone for a day or so. Then try it again using a slow speed.If you are using the fizz-x that is all I use. Just dont "beat" it. You just wantto swirl on a slow speed. Never use hi speed.

tepe said:
Using a drill maybe not. BUTT, I remember Joeswine telling us at our wine clubwhen he started using a vac and he sucked everything out including all the flavor. Of course not anymore
smiley36.gif
.We all learn from our mistakes.

If I remember right joeswine used a heavy duty vacuum pump and took it up to about 25 or more in vacuum. That much is not needed.

What you are probably seeing Omerta is just air you are introducing into the wine with excessive speed and whipping the wine up. How do you make meraing (sp)? You use egg whites and whip it at high speed putting air in it. Like Tepe says keep the speed down. If you are making a vortex, you are running the drill too fast. So SLOWWWW down.

Appleman,

You have a good memory. Yes that is what Joeswine did. I just brought that up to prove you can over vacum.

Slow is good ! ... LOL !

I believe joe used a pump made for HVAC and had it set around 30" for a few hours. I always use high speed for quick bursts and reverse it as soon as soon as the wine starts moving in that direction.

yeah... I might have over done it. I took "vigorous" as "high speed". I went high speed with the drill and hardcore by hand.

I put the isinglass in already There is what appears to a pudding like thing going on on top.

How much damage did I just do? Is this something that aging can fix?

It should be OK but you may have driven out a good share of the S02. You may need a bit more k-meta to replace it. Do you have a way to test it?

Tepe, I think Wade has it closer to what Joe did. I was being gentle on him
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

Omerta said:
yeah... I might have over done it. I took "vigorous" as "high speed". I went high speed with the drill and hardcore by hand.

I put the isinglass in already There is what appears to a pudding like thing going on on top.

How much damage did I just do? Is this something that aging can fix?

If you just added Isinglass do not do anything for at least 2 weeks. You will be able to see the wine clear from the top to the bottom. Then when clear, transfer and try again to D-gas SLOWLY. Doubt there will be any gas.

appleman said:
It should be OK but you may have driven out a good share of the S02. You may need a bit more k-meta to replace it. Do you have a way to test it?

Tepe, I think Wade has it closer to what Joe did. I was being gentle on him
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

LOL Applemen.
Iwas trying to be even "kinder" by my 1st msg on this.

Don't worry Joeswine will (still) laugh at it. You learn by trying something different. AS you know we NEVER
smiley36.gif
make mistakes. We just tried something we never did before.
Isn't that whywe are her in the first place?

Tepe: What wine club are you a member of? I live in Middelsex county and am looking for a club or something?

Omerta said:
Tepe: What wine club are you a member of? I live in Middelsex county and am looking for a club or something?

South Jersey Winemakers
We even had an article on us in WineMakers

We are located in the Burlington,Camden, Gloucester county area. Here is our Yahoo addy http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southjerseywinemakers/

The club will ony work for you if you can attend meetings as it is not a discussion group over the net. We meet once a month on a Sunday at a different members home.

Where in Middlesex co.?

maybe this has already been thought of..so forgive me if that is the case....was any sulfite been added before the degassing process was started?...i believe this too will add to the *look* that gas is in there and needing to come out

What would be the repercussions if I got too much O2 in the must by beating the crap out of it? Could this batch be spoiled?

Omerta said:
What would be the repercussions if I got too much O2 in the must by beating the crap out of it? Could this batch be spoiled?

Taste it !

See if it tastes like what the wine profile should be.

Given the short period of time you MIGHT have overdone it, there should be no real ill effects. If you overexposed it to oxygen for a longer period the biggest thing you would notice is bad off flavors. You might get a harsh vinegar taste, to a just plain nasty taste. More to it than that, but don't worry, it is still 99.9 percent chance that it will be fine.

Back