Can you over degass

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tink if anything it would just leave the wine a little flatter on taste if over degassed.

any general guide lines for degassing with a vacuum pump like approximate amount of time needed and maximum inches of vacuum to use. I will be using an aspirator pump for the first time to degas a Lodi Ranch cab soon. Thanks, Ron

I slowly turn it up till the bubbles get close and leave it there for a few minutes then gradually turn it up again and then shut it off without turning the vacuum dial down. This will leave the vacuum on the wine and this way you can tell what kind of vacuum you can hold. Most vacuum do no exceed 23" and thats as high as I would go even if it were able to pull more. When you can shut it off and hold a vacuum of around 18" for 10 minutes then you have done a good job.Make sure you have the overflow canister inline as a backup in case you get a little out of control. Beware when you reach around 15" as thats when the C02 really starts to come out and can suprise you quickly!

Back