Mosti Mondiale Can you convince me?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenito

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I don't want this to sound confrontational - I'm just looking to make the best wine I can.
smiley17.gif

So far I've made Heron Bay, Spagnols, Kenridge, Wine Expert and Cellar Craft kits. I would say Spagnols EP and Cellar Craft are the best for reds. But your discussionshave made me interested in trying MM's Meglioli.

However, the new "Wine Maker" mag's list of the top 100 wine kits lists very few MM's. And none of them too highly. I think that may be because few MM's were entered but that info isn't made available by the mag. I would have thought that if the Meglioli were truly so goodthey would place in the top 10 every year.

I am still thinking of purchasing a Meglioli to see for myself. However, I would feel better about spending so muchon a kit ($65 more for than what I pay for a EP) if fellow wine makers would tell me what specifically they have made before (e.g. Cru Select, Selection, HB Ultra Premium) and how Meglioli stacks up against them.

Thanks!!

Kenito

Welcome to the forum Kenito. I can't speak for a lot of these kits, but I can say that you can get the best Normal Mosti kit for a lot less. The high end kit is the All Juice Kits which run about $160.00. The Meglioli is the limited edition kits available by special order once a year most of the kit companies do every year. You probably don't see a lot of Mosti entries, because it has been very hard to get in the US, but George is making it easier by beginning to carry all he can. I have done 2 Mosti wines so far and I can tell you that even without extended aging yet, they are worlds apart from most of the WE kits I have done(ant that is a lot).

I hope others here will have some more information you will find useful. Dean may well have some of the information you seek since he is Canadian and has had access to most of the kits for a while now and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Appleman,

Thanks for the welcome. Can I ask what the 2 Mosti wines are that you made and an example of the WE kits they are better than?

I appreciate your response,

Kenito

Hi Kenito,

I have also been in search of the "better" wine kit after moving into this hobby last year after making beer for 10 years. George talked to me about the MM kits and explained the Masters Edition All Juice is made with higher quality juice than the MM All Juice. My first ME MM (Granbarolo)just arrived at my house and I'll be starting it after I get home from Thanksgiving vacation. I am excited based on the reports this forum gives MM kits. George estimated this kit would make a $20 bottle of wine.

Based on the results, I'll have to decide whether to go for the Meglioli or CC limited kits. I'm looking forward to my CC kits getting further along to compare them to the WE kits I've made.

Welcome kenito, I have not done a Meglioli kit but have tasted the Barolo and it was utterly awesome.

The primary reason that Mosti Mondiale does not win many medals is that very few are entered. Mosti has not really promoted entering their wines in competition up to now. Mosti and I are trying to change that dynamic as I will be entering 10 Mosti wines in the WineMaker Mag contest, this year. 4 Meglioli's, 1 Master's, 1 LaBodega Port and 5 Original All Juice. I will also be entering 5 Winexpert wines. All wines will be at least 15 months old at time of judging so it should provide a lot of feedback as to how the wines compare.

As to the awards, be careful with the results. WineMaker Magazine does not release how many wines were submitted from each brand. We also do not know where the wines came from and if anything special was done. All of the wines I am entering were made according to the manufacturers instructions. No tinkering at all. I am also reserving a bottle of every wine that I enter so I can drink them while reviewing the taster's notes. Hopefully, I can learn from the contest.

Lastly, I will offer that the Meglioli's are outstanding wines. I have a standing offer regarding these kits. If you are not 100% satisfied, then send all bottles to me and I will reimburse you for the wine kit, bottles and the shipping charge. I am making at least 1 of all 12 Meglioli's this year as I have only made the Barolo, Rojo Grande, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay and I can't wait to try them all.

Up until 2008, I've only made WE, RJS (not En Primeur)and a couple of CC kits. CC isdefinitely the best of those that I've made but up until about a year or two ago, they were hard to find in the U.S. and still lag behind WE and RJS inavailability. If you look at Winemaker Mag top 100, the "mist" type kits are very prevalent--that tells alot--readily avail, no aging needed and cheap so alot get submitted. Most people buy what's easily avail to them and I don't think people often let the better wines age properly before submitting to a competition. Up until now, I couldn't find MM available here. I am looking for the best wine I can make so I've preordered a Meglioli this year. I'd rather make less and get higher quality. Then I'll decide. I do plan to age it atleast 2 years and I won't be sending any to Winemaker Mag. Edited by: Jackie

Jackie,

It sounds like you and I think alike i.e. "I am looking for the best wine I can make". (Except for the "I'd rather make less" part
smiley36.gif
).

I was worried about posting this as I've seen some people on other discussion forums get quite upset if they think someone is criticizing their choice. I'm happy to see such positive responses here (how can I be critical of MM wines? I haven't made/drank any!)

But I am still hoping that a few more will respond here telling me what other kits they have made in the past and why they now use MM.

Kenito

Great question Kenito.

I saw that mag and the award results and wondered about the same thing.

My approach has been a little different in that I am doing this hobby
as a big experiment. I want to find out if I can make a wine I can
drink and share which is equal to or better than a $10-$12 bottle of
commercial wine. Starting in March of this year have made WE
Estate select, Limited Ed, or International Series kits and the MM All
Juice and two Masters edition kits. I have not opened any until
this weekend.

The WE kits opened were Est Sel French Chardonnay (8mos from yeast
pitch), WE LE Verdelho (7 mos from yeast pitch), WE ES Lodi Zin(7
mos from yeast pitch), and WE IS Amarone(6 mos from yeast pitch). The
one MM kit opened was the All Juice Chardillon(5 mos from yeast pitch).

I could detect some KT in all the WE kits except the Fr Chard and
slight KT in the Chardillon but the Chardillon is going to be the best
of the bunch for sure. None of the rest are even close although the
Amarone is too young for fair comparison.

We have more MM All Juice and one Meglioli on order to continue this experiment.

Hopefully , you will share your experiences with us as you go forward.
You will find this forum very helpful and you will occasionally find
critical analysis of some phase of the wine making process which adds
to all of our knowledge.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by: Jack on Rainy

I started both the WE Select Estate Washington Columbia Valley Riesling and the MM All Juice Johannisburg Riesling back in march of this year. I did this because I have been pleased with any WE Select Estate kit that I have done and was interested in the newly available MM All juice available thru George.

They have been bulk aging since and recently both my wife and I did a taste test and found both to be very good and very equal in my mind. Both had good subtle flavors. The WE came out just a little sweeter tasting than MM and I think that is why we were split between us on which one was better.

Since the MM All Juice was so equal with the WE Select Estate with this variety I decided to try the Meglioli and have the Sangiovese Toscano. I have it but have been unable to start this as yet, but will be doing so right after thanksgiving.

Kenito, the real question is what "the best kit" means to you. Only you can answer that question, and the only way to find out is to try the best kit in the type you like (fruity whites, big reds, etc.) from each of the manufacturers and then decide.

My experience so far with the MM Original All Juice is that these make excellent wines. I am more likely to make two MM OAJ kits than 1 MM Meglioli for about the same cost. That's just me.

I also make a lot of IM-type kits, modified for 9-10% abv and about half the intended sweetness. I make these because they are what my wife and her friends, and my daughter and her friends, like.

Jack and Docbee,

That kind of comparison is exactly what I'm looking for - thanks, and keep them coming!

Kenito

PeterZ said:
Kenito, the real question is what "the best kit" means to you. Only you can answer that question, and the only way to find out is to try the best kit in the type you like (fruity whites, big reds, etc.) from each of the manufacturers and then decide.

My experience so far with the MM Original All Juice is that these make excellent wines. I am more likely to make two MM OAJ kits than 1 MM Meglioli for about the same cost. That's just me.

I also make a lot of IM-type kits, modified for 9-10% abv and about half the intended sweetness. I make these because they are what my wife and her friends, and my daughter and her friends, like.

Hi Peter,

What is an IM kit?

Latest posts

Back