Can this be right?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWs

Sixth year into this... and still learning!
Reaction score
I started a berry port style wine two weeks ago. I used what was left from steam juicing 21 lbs of Blackberries, 2 lbs of Raspberries, and 7 lbs of Blueberries. Tossed all in paint strainer bag. Added all the normal stuff and sugar to a S.G. of 1.070 then added 1/2 cup of malt which shot the S.G. up to 1.115. I tossed Lalvin 71B-1122 on day 3. Oh, started at about 1 1/2 gallon in 5 gal bucket. Fermented down to 1.010 and then added Sugar to S.G. of 1.030 and continued fermenting back to 1.010 and added sugar and steamed blueberry juice to 1.032 and once again fermented this time to 1.020 and added Blackberry juice to 1.024. Right now the S.G. is 1.018 and it is in 2 one gallon jugs under air lock still have bubbles. If I figured right the alcohol content would be 19.42%. Is this possible with this yeast as Lalvin says this yeast is only good to about 14%.

Possible but not always probable. It's always an approximation game with yeast. You may get some good yeast that will go to 18% and the next packet of the same type may only reach 12%

Are you taking the change in volume into account? Why did you wait 3 days until tossing in the yeast? It sounds like you are going to have a lot of acid? Good on the malt, that will add some body. Crackedcork

As you imply, you're figuring could be off. How did you decide the alcohol content would reach 19.42% (that's a pretty exact number)? By my figuring, you would get 19.39%, so our calculations must be fairly close. What's the chance you were off on a few of the SG readings? Aside from human error, I have no biological expertise to explain the yeast continuing to ferment beyond the manufacturer's expected range.

It certainly is possible with healthy yeast you could get the alcohol level up there, but please don't count on it happening all the time and remember it could have just as easily ended up at 11%.

I recently had a Sweet Wheat wine go to 21% with Lalvin EC-1118. I guess all conditions must have been just right - healthy yeast, nutrients, temp, etc. I wondered if the wheat maybe increased the nutrients so the yeast could keep going on more than just sugars. Maybe this is the case with the use of the malt in yours.

Cracked Cork, I'll have to remember to keep a eye on the acid, thanks. It took me 3 days to figure out what I really wanted to do with it that's why I was late with the yeast. Another question for everyone. When should I add K-meta and sorbate or is it even needed or used in ports? I'm thinking I'll rack it off the lees tomorrow night and bump the S.G. up to 1.028 with simple syrup. If it stays at 1.028 for a few days, add at least the k-meta. Then put it away in a dark corner someplace.

Latest posts

Back