Can someone check my numbers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshs

Reaction score
6 gallons of Sangiovese. Current pH is 3.6 and TA is 0.50%. Using the 1g/l to drop my pH by 0.1 calculation I should add 66 grams of tartaric acid to drop my pH to 3.3.

That's 22 liters x 3g/l = 66 grams to get around 3.3 pH.

Opinions? Am I on track here? I will also be putting this through MLF.

Thanks!

-Josh

Last edited:
I also have a OV Zin that I'm doing as well. This is 7 gallons total. pH is 3.7 and TA is .52%. Using my same equation above, in order to drop my pH .3 points I would need to add 78grams of tartaric acid.

26 liters x 3g/l = 78 grams to get around 3.4 pH.

-Josh

Last edited:
Seems a tad low to start especially if you over shoot which is easy if your not careful. I would shoot for 3.4 to 3.5 to start and also watch your TA numbers.

Thanks all. I ended up adding smaller amounts and dropped both to about 3.4.

I'll keep people posted on the progress as I work through MLF as well.

-Josh

joshs, did you buy the juice buckets from Maltose, what brand?

Yes I did. Lodi gold was the brand and I also added a lug of Merlot grapes as well.

Josh

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Thanks! I was considering the OV Zin lug but thought the merlot would fit better. I post my other numbers soon once I compile all my notes.

Considering going back tomorrow for a white bucket.

Josh

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I agree with ibglowin here. In fact, don't over-adjust anything, especially acid. And use your taste buds as well when adjusting acids/pH - not just the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Yes I did. Lodi gold was the brand and I also added a lug of Merlot grapes as well.

Josh

cool.

I wonder if they gave you these numbers and if they could've adjusted them for you.
I ordered Amador grapes and still waiting for them to arrive. I'll try to get PH/TA numbers from them while there and adjust if needed while there..

cool.

I wonder if they gave you these numbers and if they could've adjusted them for you.
I ordered Amador grapes and still waiting for them to arrive. I'll try to get PH/TA numbers from them while there and adjust if needed while there..

I'm sure it's worth asking but based on their setup I'm not sure it's possible. They have you select what you want and pay inside and then direct you to a truck in the parking lot. You hand the person your paid receipt and they put your wine/grapes in the car.

The only difference may be if you are having them crush for you then they might do it then.....not sure.

-Josh

I'm sure it's worth asking but based on their setup I'm not sure it's possible. They have you select what you want and pay inside and then direct you to a truck in the parking lot. You hand the person your paid receipt and they put your wine/grapes in the car.

The only difference may be if you are having them crush for you then they might do it then.....not sure.

-Josh

yup, I will have them crush the grapes for me as I don't have a crusher, yet.

Latest posts

Back