Cellar Craft Can kits expire?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotGut76

Reaction score
I was wondering if wine kits can expire? A friend of mine has one and says its been sitting for a while. I'm not sure how long maybe a year or so.

So...can they expire?

Yes! From the mouth of an/the RJS customer support person about 18 months ago when asked by me. To be on the safe side...

RJ Spagnol's Expiration...

Vino del Vida and Orchard Breezin’ brands a 24-month expiration from the box date.

Grand Cru products have an 18-month expiration.

ALL the rest of the wine kits have a 12 month shelf life starting from the box date.

Last edited:
I did one earlier this year that was manufactured in 2012. It worked fine. Be sure to use fresh yeast and sorbate if you are using that.
I think there is a sticky in the technical section that tells you how to read rack manufacturers date code on the box.

Offer to make the kit for your friend, and give him some of the bottles. It is a win-win. You get a free kit, and he gets the wine he never got around to making.

I just found out its about 2 years old. I may try it anyway with fresh yeast and such. Its an amarone kit so hopefully it will come out alright.

Cellar craft Amarone? Forget about it!!!! Pitch new yeast and wait to be impressed!! Wait at least a year and you will be very very pleased! Just took mine out of the Vadai barrel and wondered if it even did any good to it sitting the extra 4 months!?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I picked up the kit today. Everything looks cool so far. However, it did not come with the instructions. I am a little unsure of the order.

Here is a pic of what it came with:

It also came with a pack of what looks like the grape skins. So......

Like a typical kit I add the bentonite to some water let it dissolve. Then I add the juice. I'm thinking the skins go in the primary as well?

When does the oak go in? All of it at once?

The Sorbate and K-meta I add after fermentation.

What is the Enzyme blend for and when do I add this?

The rest I think I have down. Thanks for any help with this.

Put the oak dust and grape skins in the mesh bag. Then put the bag in the primary. (after reconstituting to 6 gal).

The enzyme blend is to prevent/cure a protein ring that can sometimes develop on CC kits. I only use it if I see the ring. So far, I only get the ring on 50% or less of the CC kits I've done.

I made a pinot chardonnay a last year from a kit that I found under the steps (buddy left it there) it was 5 + years old.

Water and new yeast and I had wine. The juice had darkened (oxidation I think) so the wine looked more like flat ginger ale, but the end product was a descent brousy, chewable wine. What I mean is that it was strong tasting but it was good. I wanted to throw each swallow around a bit before I drank it.

I think I drank the last on on Sunday night.

It was great right down to the last chew....

Latest posts

Back