Campden and Color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyPhil

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with adding Campden to a finished wine and it removes the color? What happened?

I've never heard of this happening. Ever. There has to be something else at work here. Can you describe in detail what you did and what you observed?

I have heard that if you wine has experience oxidation - that SO2 addition can help dissipate the color a bit.

Ive heard of the sulfites doing this a few times especially with Strawberry wine for some reason.

It was watermelon that it did it with, It went from red to almost a chardonnay color. It was odd.

A couple of questions: What was the PH? How much Kmeta did you add? bk

Did you rack it when this happened?? I had a strawberry that was a nice pretty red, it cleared and I racked it off. It stayed the red color until I picked up a little of the lees. Then it turned the orangish color most strawberry finishes at. Cleared nice afterwards, but kept the diff. color. Arne.

I realized much later that this was because the whole batch went horribly awry. The finished wine tasted salty (yes you read that right) and smelled like fritos. I am thinking some bad bacteria got in there.

Latest posts

Back