Other California Conn Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRLFD448

Reaction score
Hello All! I am new to winemaking and have been reading this for quite some time before I felt good enough to give it a try.

I purchased the California Conn Cabernet Kit and the necessary supplies with a better bottle (instead of the glass). From what I have read it seems like it is kind of the easiest way to go.

Unfortunately, the hydrometer in the kit I purchased smashed during shipping, so I did not get to take the initial SG reading. Is that a bad thing? My understanding is kits are fairly hard to mess up, but I am still concerned.

I sanitized and sanitized some more as that seems to be the most important part. Then I mixed my kit and it is currently fermenting (day 3).

Should I be nervous about messing this up? From what I have seen even the smallest mix-up in sanitation can lead to a bad batch. I have turned OCD on the cleaning supplies and would like it to come out great! Any suggestions along the way? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum. As of today you are ok with everything you have done. You do need to run out and get a hydrometer for your next steps though. I would do that as soon as possible so you'll know when to rack to the secondary which is only a few days away.

Hello and welcome to the forum. As of today you are ok with everything you have done. You do need to run out and get a hydrometer for your next steps though. I would do that as soon as possible so you'll know when to rack to the secondary which is only a few days away.

I called the company and they are sending one out pronto for the broken one. The directions call for a rack on day 8. I will unfortunately be out of town on business until day 8 so I am hoping it will still be day 8 this needs to happen!

Just called my father and he has a hydrometer I can borrow...will test tonight and see where I stand!

Last edited:
Welcome,

A day here or there will not hurt the wine. Relax and enjoy.

Welcome aboard!!!

First relax!! You are fine :h

Like Tom said above a day here a day there - nothing to worry about.

But i would get a hydrometer as soon as you can..

Relax and enjoy!!

Quick Update-

I did not take a hydrometer reading last night but now do have one in my possession. I decided since the airlock was bubbling away the fermentation was going well. When I get back Sunday I will update with the first racking and some pictures!

In the mean time- I was looking at the extensive recipe section and would like to do a hard cider for the fall!

A few questions after my first racking experience....

Tested the SG and it came in right around where it was supposed to be...actually dead on 1.010. I got an auto siphon with the kit, and had never used it before. I stuck it into the wine and had a hard time getting it to start. Finally figured the damn thing out and had the wine moving through in no time.

My question is this...how much sediment should be at the bottom of the primary fermenter? I ask because after about halfway of holding the siphon in the middle, the wine moved past the end and it stopped the siphon.

I set the siphon on the bottom and started it again. I know this siphon takes from a few inches above the bottom, but I was concerned about actually getting sediment into the first racking. My assumption is that it does not matter so much because I am going to rack one more time before adding the finshing products and bottling. I was just curious.

Also- After I finished I left the remainder in the primary because I wanted to try and start a batch of skeeter pee while I had slurry....would this work? Probably a bunch of stupid questions here but I apologize. Thanks for any help!

Don't apologize for having questions; that's why we are all here.

It is normal to move some sediment on the first racking. Same likely will happen on your second racking, too. That's why you rack several times, depending on your kit's instructions of course. The idea is to pick up as little as possible. On the last racking before bottling, you want to avoid picking up any sediment, though.

Yes, you can use the slurry on your S.P. if you don't mind the S.P. picking up some of the color of the cab.

Last edited:
I believe I would have taken the remainder I had in the primary and put into a separate bottle and kept in under airlock to let it settle out. This way you would have wine to top off with in future rackings.

I believe I would have taken the remainder I had in the primary and put into a separate bottle and kept in under airlock to let it settle out. This way you would have wine to top off with in future rackings.

Mike is right. I always save my sediment in a small, clear vessel and let it settle out, then save off the clear layer. You will be surprised at how much additional wine you can save this way. By doing this, you don't have to try to siphon so close to the sediment, so you don't tend to siphon over as much sediment/lees.

Thank you! Very helpful. I didn't want to suck up too much sediment, so I did leave some in the primary for the S.P. I airlocked it for the night until I can get the ingredients today for the S.P.

The kit said they reccommended not topping up anyways, so there is probably about 1 gallon of cab/sediment leftover. I bought the starter kit to give this hobby a try, so physically seeing the siphon probably would have been more helpful. I could not because the primary fermenter in the kit is the hard white plastic one. I will be sure on the next and final racking before bottling to not suck up any sediment.

2 weeks in and I have already decided to add another 2 carboys, extra hydrometer, bungs, etc to my inventory. Also got permission to move the hobby to the basement (apparently the primary fermentation did not smell as good to the girlfriend as it did to me).

I cannot WAIT to see and taste the final product. Only a few more weeks! I am beginning to think all the washing/sterilizing I am doing is all going to be worth it for the bottling step, as that seems like the most fun!

S.P. and Apfelwein are next on the to do list....

You're hooked now.:fsh I just started a few months ago and I have 24 gallons in the works. More on order. Good luck!!!

The kit said they reccommended not topping up anyways, so there is probably about 1 gallon of cab/sediment leftover. ....

I don't know your particular kit, but if they said you don't need to top off, that is likely only after the first racking. When you rack from secondary to stabilize and clear, you will need to top off. Clearing can take several weeks; your wine needs to be protected from oxygen during that period.

I don't know your particular kit, but if they said you don't need to top off, that is likely only after the first racking. When you rack from secondary to stabilize and clear, you will need to top off. Clearing can take several weeks; your wine needs to be protected from oxygen during that period.

Noted. I will have to check the directions...what you are saying makes sense to me....in that case I need like a gallon of "topping off" material....what do I use?

You also now have me concerned....the directions on the kit clearly said that they reccommended not topping up. This is why I left the remainder in the primary. Should I have at least filled until the cusp of the carboy? I will need to take a picture I guess to give you the full idea, but any suggestions?

You also now have me concerned....the directions on the kit clearly said that they reccommended not topping up. This is why I left the remainder in the primary. Should I have at least filled until the cusp of the carboy? I will need to take a picture I guess to give you the full idea, but any suggestions?

Wow! I have never heard of that! Well, we always tell people to follow the instructions, so (I can't get myself to say it!).

I'd get the manufacturer's phone number and call them to ask why. I believe all of them have a help line. Maybe (???) they have a good reason for recommending to not top-off. Maybe they want some amount of oxidation to happen...

As I mentioned earlier, topping off is NOT required between primary and secondary fermentation stages, but while the wine is clearing and during any bulk aging, it is most necessary.

I'd give them a call. Let us know what they say. Sorry for the confusion.

I checked the directions last night and it is there for both racks.....in BOLD!

Hmmm...well I will follow the directions and let you know how it turns out. It actually says, "We strongly reccommend not topping up to ensure stability of the wine"

Latest posts

Back