Calculating ABV

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! New to this group or forum. Usually I use Facebook groups but reading some of these answers I feel this is a better choice. I just started last year making mead and wine. Not working out the greatest. I'm really looking for a way to use Vinters wine base and get around 16% or higher ABV. I just bought 2 5gal water jugs and plan to use this to start the process. My question is, does anyone know how much sugar to add to raise their projected 10% alcohol to 16% or higher. I read 2-3 lbs of sugar per gallon should get you to 16% but I'm just looking if anyone had any luck or used Vinters. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I briefly looked at FB groups. You made a wise decision by coming here, IMO.

Increasing ABV will not necessarily make a tasty wine. Many things contribute to the final product.

Please tell me you have a hydrometer. If not, get a couple. You WILL break one, it's a rule.

To answer your question, one pound of sugar will raise the specific gravity (in 1 gallon) approximately .040 so 3 pounds would be 1.120, just about 16%. And the yeast needs to be a strain that can handle the higher alcohol.

Good luck and have fun!

Welcome to WMT!

I agree with Dave, FB isn't as good a choice. Two problems are the speed with which posts cycle off (they're still available, but finding anything is difficult), and that there's a lot more folks posting who don't really know what they are doing. Same with YouTube -- there's a lot of good videos, but there's too many folks who have a web cam but not a clue.

Which Vintner's are you using, Vintners Harvest or Vintner's Best? I assume VB, as it's cheaper and more commonly available.

How much are you diluting? Each gallon of concentrate reconstitutes to 5 US gallon (19 liters), and if you dilute to 23 liters, you're making a weak wine every time. Another issue with VB is that it's not pure -- the first ingredient on the label is apple or pear juice.

You can make good wine with it -- for my last batch of Elderberry I added 1 liter each of white and red grape concentrate, and diluted to 7 US gallons, with the plan to fill a 25 liter (6.6 gallon) demijohn. That batch came out good -- not as good as fresh elderberries, but more than enough for my needs.

I briefly looked at FB groups. You made a wise decision by coming here, IMO.

Increasing ABV will not necessarily make a tasty wine. Many things contribute to the final product.

Please tell me you have a hydrometer. If not, get a couple. You WILL break one, it's a rule.

To answer your question, one pound of sugar will raise the specific gravity (in 1 gallon) approximately .040 so 3 pounds would be 1.120, just about 16%. And the yeast needs to be a strain that can handle the higher alcohol.

Good luck and have fun!
Hi BigDaveK, I do have a couple hydrometers and broke 2 so far lol. I usually use ec-118 for higher alcohol content, d47 for mead, and kv-116 for reds and other wines. Thanks for response, it's going to he helpful.

Welcome to WMT!

I agree with Dave, FB isn't as good a choice. Two problems are the speed with which posts cycle off (they're still available, but finding anything is difficult), and that there's a lot more folks posting who don't really know what they are doing. Same with YouTube -- there's a lot of good videos, but there's too many folks who have a web cam but not a clue.

Which Vintner's are you using, Vintners Harvest or Vintner's Best? I assume VB, as it's cheaper and more commonly available.

How much are you diluting? Each gallon of concentrate reconstitutes to 5 US gallon (19 liters), and if you dilute to 23 liters, you're making a weak wine every time. Another issue with VB is that it's not pure -- the first ingredient on the label is apple or pear juice.

You can make good wine with it -- for my last batch of Elderberry I added 1 liter each of white and red grape concentrate, and diluted to 7 US gallons, with the plan to fill a 25 liter (6.6 gallon) demijohn. That batch came out good -- not as good as fresh elderberries, but more than enough for my needs.
Hi Winemaker81, I'm using Vinters best for the price and a more consistent batch for larger fermentations. I did realize main ingredients is the Pear or plum juice as I thought. I just wanted to make bigger batches more consistent to give out and I make smaller batches for personal preference.

Hi Winemaker81, I'm using Vinters best for the price and a more consistent batch for larger fermentations. I did realize main ingredients is the Pear or plum juice as I thought. I just wanted to make bigger batches more consistent to give out and I make smaller batches for personal preference.
Gotcha!

What's your dilution ratio? Dilution ratio was my first guess, as too much water makes any concentrate thin.

Gotcha!

What's your dilution ratio? Dilution ratio was my first guess, as too much water makes any concentrate thin.
I haven't made a 5 gal Batch but was going to follow directions on bottle pretty much. Dump 1 gal Batch in vessel and use gal container to add 4 more Gallons to jug.

I haven't made a 5 gal Batch but was going to follow directions on bottle pretty much. Dump 1 gal Batch in vessel and use gal container to add 4 more Gallons to jug.
You're on track then.

You may want to reconsider bumping the ABV to 16%. Depending on what fruit you're making, it may be too hot and unpleasant. Higher ABV wines typically have more body, tannin, sugar, etc., and most fruit wines are lower. Depending on what you're making, 13% to 14% may be the most you want to go. A target OG of 1.100 may work out well.

One technique that can make the wine more interesting is to add glycerin at bottling time. I use 1/4 to 1 oz per gallon, typically in the 1/2 to 2/3 oz. This gives a slight perception of sweetness and increases body and mouth feel.

You're on track then.

You may want to reconsider bumping the ABV to 16%. Depending on what fruit you're making, it may be too hot and unpleasant. Higher ABV wines typically have more body, tannin, sugar, etc., and most fruit wines are lower. Depending on what you're making, 13% to 14% may be the most you want to go. A target OG of 1.100 may work out well.

One technique that can make the wine more interesting is to add glycerin at bottling time. I use 1/4 to 1 oz per gallon, typically in the 1/2 to 2/3 oz. This gives a slight perception of sweetness and increases body and mouth feel.
Never heard adding glycerin to wine but I do like a hint of sweetness. The 2 I am trying in 5 gal is Pear and plum. Asian plum wine is good and hoping to eventually get to that flavor profile.

I agree with others about FB groups. I recently started following a few because I worry about being annoying with all my questions in this forum, although no one has ever said I am annoying and everyone has been very gracious with answers. It’s just me not wanting to be a pest. However, today on FB I saw this picture and have decided FB is not the best place to look for answers. Is it me or is this (picture) hydrometer not even floating?

Attachments

• IMG_5540.png
    IMG_5540.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I agree with others about FB groups. I recently started following a few because I worry about being annoying with all my questions in this forum, although no one has ever said I am annoying and everyone has been very gracious with answers. It’s just me not wanting to be a pest. However, today on FB I saw this picture and have decided FB is not the best place to look for answers. Is it me or is this (picture) hydrometer not even floating?

Not just you. Hopefully someone suggested that's not right.

Latest posts

Back