WineXpert Cabernet Franc & Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
I went to D'Vine wine yesterday in Grapevine, Tx and did a little wine tasting. Had a cabernet franc which was excellent. I heard they use wine expert kits. Has anyone ever made a cab-franc. Also, had a port and a choc. port, YUM
smiley32.gif
. Has anyone ever made any of the WE- ports?

Tks-Donna

My brother-in-law grows cab-franc and sells most of the yield to a local winery, but makes about 20 gallons per year for himself. It is a wonderful wine! Only had port of any type once and it was very cheap and tasted cheap as well.

I've only heard good things about the WE port. One person on another forum says that she prefers her WE port to any commercial port, hands down.

Is the WE port something you could bottle and let sit for the next 20 years (if not, how do the commercial places do it?). For that matter, are any of the WE kits appropriate for long term aging? I get the impression that you don't really want to let them sit for longer than, say, 5-7 years...

Does anyone have a comparable commercial port that I could try? I would hate to make 3 gallons of something I couldn't drink
smiley36.gif

If you make 3 gallons of anything you don't like I'm sure you can find someone here at the forum to help you out of the situation! I'll be first in line for you!
smiley36.gif

pkcook said:
Does anyone have a comparable commercial port that I could try? I would hate to make 3 gallons of something I couldn't drink
smiley36.gif

The commercial ports are fortified with brandy that pushes the alcohol level to 20+%. The high alcohol preserves the wine and allows them to last for 50+ years.

I have yet to make the WE port, but I have heard nothing but great things about it. It is high on my "to do" list.

I have made the WE Port and the Spagnols Port and the WE is definately the better of the two. I got raves from friends who typically did not care for Ports over the WE Port

I agree with George - if you are careful in your process, and fortify it with alcohol, then it has the potential for some long term aging. I say "potential" because I'd imagine after 3 - 5 years, you'll have a hard time keeping any left!
smiley36.gif

We're started a port a few weeks ago and I plan on bottling in small bottles and fortifying some of it for long term storage. We'll see how well I can do with that long term stuff. But I am cheap, and I do hoard wines,
smiley9.gif
so there is a chance...

I made the WE port. I let it age for a bit over a month and
wanted to "try" it. I can't keep my wife out of it now.
I'm going to stuff a bunch of it away.....

I think it is good now, and will be awesome in 6 months.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back